ideas on a smoother ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had 2 back operations and the stock suspension is still on my 2005 Liberty 3.7L V6 KJ, from what I can tell. Any reasonable ideas? This vehicle sat for 2 years without moving and ive been busy replacing the rusting parts, from calipers to rotors,pans,lines,a/c receiver drier, all fluids and filters, window regulator....

added pioneer radio and 6 speakers and a remote starter with security.

:help:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of the quality lift kits, OME OR iron man if you can still get it. The ride was greatly improved after installing my iron man lift

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
KJs have the worst suspension ever. My 04s were replaced with only 20,000 miles rode much better . You could go with the OME 926/947 spring combo better riding springs but not much more height over new stock

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJs have the worst suspension ever. My 04s were replaced with only 20,000 miles rode much better . You could go with the OME 926/947 spring combo better riding springs but not much more height over new stock

i use it for a daily rider...occasional mudder. Most of the roads in southwestern PA are crappy to say the least.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Tom didn't mention the coilovers because from what I've heard from him they are quite smooth

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Tom didn't mention the coilovers because from what I've heard from him they are quite smooth

Old salesmans ploy, get them interested them reel them in:happy175:
No but to the OP, my next question was going to be what kind of budget do you have. JeepinByAl ( a IFS expert as far as suspensions go ) has a kit that I have on my 03. Its an adjustable coilover kit front height wise plus all 4 shocks are adjustable as far as rebound and compression. You adjust to what you like , firmer ride or softer. Its the best you can get on a KJ. Expensive some say, but when going down the road ...........well can't be beat.
Of course JBA has the OME lifts as well and all suspension products
everything you need for a very comfortable ride including UCA etc
Its so good, one of the guys on here, ( twobobs ) rode in mine and ordered his a couple of days later ( well, the front setup)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old salesmans ploy, get them interested them reel them in:happy175:
No but to the OP, my next question was going to be what kind of budget do you have. JeepinByAl ( a IFS expert as far as suspensions go ) has a kit that I have on my 03. Its an adjustable coilover kit front height wise plus all 4 shocks are adjustable as far as rebound and compression. You adjust to what you like , firmer ride or softer. Its the best you can get on a KJ. Expensive some say, but when going down the road ...........well can't be beat.
Of course JBA has the OME lifts as well and all suspension products
everything you need for a very comfortable ride including UCA etc
Its so good, one of the guys on here, ( twobobs ) rode in mine and ordered his a couple of days later ( well, the front setup)
You must be registered for see images attach

whats this pic run?$ and did it come with clevis's?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
whats this pic run?$ and did it come with clevis's?

Just as you see it there . everything .
I'll have to look at what they are now.
Most think its too much so usually we're installing OME kits
I had one of the first with just the height adjustable fronts and it was a huge improvement on the 04 . Was going to do a OME on the 03 but knew I wouldn't be satisfied sine I'm spoiled with the coilover ride so went with it even though was unemployed at the time living on state retirement

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo , my lifted suspension although much better quality, performance, durability etc , has a pretty darn stiff ride. The lift mentioned above my buddy has set for a smoother ride and its great. A lot also depends on if youve had fusions and the cause of your back problems. A lumbar pillow would also probably help quite a bit.....anyways, if you can afford that ^ its the best option. almost Anything is an upgrade to a libertys stock suspension

kenM420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo , my lifted suspension although much better quality, performance, durability etc , has a pretty darn stiff ride. The lift mentioned above my buddy has set for a smoother ride and its great. A lot also depends on if youve had fusions and the cause of your back problems. A lumbar pillow would also probably help quite a bit.....anyways, if you can afford that ^ its the best option. almost Anything is an upgrade to a libertys stock suspension

lumbar discectomy L4/L5 and degenerative disc's:Violin:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lumbar discectomy L4/L5 and degenerative disc's:Violin:

ohhh yeah thats tough and no fun. It all depends on budget, id even look into potentially swapping out seats in addition

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well i just visited [ Rockrails / Rocker panel protection, rock sliders, rocker protection ] and i would have to wait until income tax returns as i have a 2 and 7 y/o. I'm mainly looking for ideas... with the OME its adding lift....but i did see its not extreme, good for highway.

DO NOT VISIT THAT place again, bad juju
The OME is great for the highway
I've logged over 170,000 miles on the 04 with OME lifts with many long trips of 11 -12 hours at a stretch

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get the full kit that Tom has pictured you will never regret it. I only have the front setup pictured but damn it rides nice. The installation was much easier compared to the other setups offered. I made a couple of JK guys at work jealous yesterday. They were wishing their setups rode as good on the road.