ID the thing in the picture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure by the picture but it *looks* like maybe there is an axle off the top side of the pic, so my guess would be a differential breather. I'm more curious what's in the ammo can off to the left :confused:

callaway

Reaction score
The port on the top of the tank is a vent line, so I went and attached a small air filter I found at pepboys to the end of my vent hose to keep debris/critters out.
It kinda looks like the picture :p

You must be registered for see images

UFO

Reaction score
Hopefully the vent has a tipover valve in it, so fuel won't leak when the vehicle rolls.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
That is not a vapor VENT so to speak. If you look at the fuel tank, it is sealed once you close it off. If you pull fuel from the tank, and if sealed completely, there will be a point where the tank will start to buckle inward, because you are creating a vacuum. That inlet, is to equalize the pressure, so when pulling fuel, air gets in, so the tank won't cave in, or get a point where no more fuel will flow, due to the vacuum. The hose, as you can see, wraps around, and goes into that top nozzle on the other side. Actually, there should be a manual valve to close it when not in use. That should not be left OPEN all the time, only when in use.

Older boats, with outboard motors used plastic fuel tanks (I had one). They have the same type thing, though it's just a knob on the tank you turn to OPEN it up, no filter, nothing, just open a valve. You have to open the vent, or the motor will eventually stall due to lack of fuel, because you created a vacuum in the tank with the vent closed. I found that out the first time I ran the boat, the motor stalled. I looked at the fuel tank, and the top of it was pulled half way down, was funny looking. Then I looked and saw a nozzle with a valve on it, opened it up, the nozzle sucked in air, and the fuel tank popped back upward, and I started the motor; all was fine.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually that is a vapor vent,in both of the pics those fuel cells are feeding a fuel injected engine,2 sump lines,1 return line,and the vent.

Gas will expand when hot,thus needing a vent.Those set-ups are not entirely emission legal for newer vehicles since the newer vehicle venting systems are sealed and use a vapor canister to hold vapors for release at a later time.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I get that, the gas just don't expand, it gives off more vapor when hot too. However, close the vent system up completely when running, and see what happens... I know it is a VENT, but it is not simply there just to vent fumes from the tank when hot. In all reality, it should be closed off when not in use, same as a gas tank for an outboard motor. I got the same expansion, but open the vent, the "Ssssssssssss" and gas fumes escape... That is really how it should be done, even though is may be there, simply as a vent. Still, if or were not there, the gas flow would eventually cease when there is enough vacuum in the tank, even with a return line, because the return will not equal consumption.

Maybe, it should be placed into the intake so it burns the fumes instead...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that, the gas just don't expand, it gives off more vapor when hot too. However, close the vent system up completely when running, and see what happens... I know it is a VENT, but it is not simply there just to vent fumes from the tank when hot. In all reality, it should be closed off when not in use, same as a gas tank for an outboard motor. I got the same expansion, but open the vent, the "Ssssssssssss" and gas fumes escape... That is really how it should be done, even though is may be there, simply as a vent. Still, if or were not there, the gas flow would eventually cease when there is enough vacuum in the tank, even with a return line, because the return will not equal consumption.

Maybe, it should be placed into the intake so it burns the fumes instead...
Yes it also allows are in,that type of vent is a two-way vent and with 20 gallons or so you should never seal it off on hot days.Venting into the intake is the same as our EVAP systems more or less.

Latest posts

Members online