I opened my air filter and WTF is that?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened my air filter and found a foam sponge dripping with black oil. Why does the oil come down a small hose and into the air filter housing? Now I have to take tHe housing out and run it through a parts cleaner.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
na just leave it. The crank case vent is the tube and it will always have oily air pushing threw it so no need to clean it unless you like cleaning a lot.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure that it should be DRIPPING with oil. Lightly soaked with oil is normal. It just filters air as it comes out of the crank case.. Which is full of oil..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you met Sponge Bob. I don't know about oil, but mine was pretty dirty. with odd looking stains and discolorations.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never seen oil in mine...but then again never looked for it. I'll check later.....

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its right on that 4 year schedual. I just cleaned it and it wasnt as bad as i thought. We do not have a PCV valve right? Id rater put a fuel filter on the end of it.

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So shouldent the PCV valve stop this oil? Someone has me afraid a ring might be bad. How do i know if its correct or somethings wrong?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
You can install an oil catch can, use Fuel Filter FF733, then below that number is G485. They are at Auto Zone, and Advance Auto, one of the two or both. I used one for my Custom intake, since the breather hose goes into the intake tube AFTER the filter. The way they are setup OEM, is the breather filter is BEFORE the filter so no oil gets into the intake anyway... Look for pictures of my intake here, and see what I did...

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So shouldent the PCV valve stop this oil? Someone has me afraid a ring might be bad. How do i know if its correct or somethings wrong?

Why would this condition leaad anyone to believe that a ring is bad? Rings are on the pistions, if a ring were bad then you would be losing compression and even seeing some smoke at the tail pipe. This may sound like a dumb question, but have you checked your oil lately? I knew one guy who did an oil change and filled er right up! AND I MEAN RIGHT UP TO THE TOP OF THE VALVE COVER! Anything is possible....But NO this is not an idication of a faulty ring!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You think thats bad, there is something over on lost about that stuff that makes me want to throw up. Its seriously messed me up for life and it should really be removed... But it seems its not going to be.. :rolleyes:

Jen and I read it early this morning!
Pretty sick!
Back on topic. I would think that you have major issues with your engine
if you have that much oil on that sponge.
Our has oil residue on it, but not dripping.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes this is a major indicator of blow by at the rings. With more than normal pressure on the crankcase, because of the blow by, the oil mist/vapours will migrate to this filter.........and when enough oil has migrated there, then you see evidence like the oil soaked filter. This is the first thing you should check when purchasing a used vehicle. That's why a good/sneaky used car salesman will always change those filters and PCV valves when unloading a lemon.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's my "Sponge Bob"-

Not oily at all......
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01860.jpg
    DSC01860.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 113

Austen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have any loss of power or compression. I am about to change the oil soon. I will replace ol sponge bob this one time so i can gauge how bad it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.