I have to ask... why HOAT and not reg. antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks...Yeah, like I said, it was an emergency situation. I asked for HOAT and they had no idea what I was talking about, and said "here, this will work fine."

Once I get the leak taken care of I'll flush it and replace with HOAT.

Yeah, not much choice in an emergency. Any coolant is better than no coolant, and IMHO, you probably won't see any problems with short-term use. It's not like any gaskets are going to get eaten overnight; more like over a few years from long-term use. Just flush it out like you have planned and you'll be fine.

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad Coolant

Found out the hard way....
The old technician in my garage put Dexcool in my 3.7 with out my knowledge.

Well now I have Head Gasket Problems....post more on that later.

Only Way to go is with HOAT coolant.....In our Shop We use Zerez G-05 coolant..it is comparable to the stuff Mopar currently offers; we mix it in a 60/40 ratio (coolant/distilled water).

Hard to find in some areas, but most Napa stores have it all the time.

termin8ed

Reaction score
the coolent is only good for the 100k miles if you use distilled water also. If you use tap water figure on every 2 years. fyi

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pep boys has got g-05 just bought some and topped off yesterday, at least my pep boys does. I've saved many a Chrysler vehicle owner from buying plain antifreeze and ruining their engine, except for my buddy who has an 03 ram and refuses to get it because it's "too expensive". Well so is a new engine.:shakehead:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
What about bottled water?

Note how bottled water advertises minerals.

Distilled only, ever. Why would you pay $1.50 per 20 oz bottle of bottled water when you can get distilled at the grocery store for like 69¢? The way some people think astounds ThunderbirdJunkie.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note how bottled water advertises minerals.

Distilled only, ever. Why would you pay $1.50 per 20 oz bottle of bottled water when you can get distilled at the grocery store for like 69¢? The way some people think astounds ThunderbirdJunkie.

Had it lying around the garage. Also it doesn't have the added minerals advertised on it nor are any minerals listed in the ingredients, just natural spring water. It's the shop rite brand water (the grocery store brand)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it lying around the garage. Also it doesn't have the added minerals advertised on it nor are any minerals listed in the ingredients, just natural spring water. It's the shop rite brand water (the grocery store brand)
Bottle water is just filtered tap water,that cat has been let out of the bag years ago.It also has all those minerals and such that do not do good things for your cooling system.In a pinch it will work but long term it will cause issues.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottle water is just filtered tap water,that cat has been let out of the bag years ago.It also has all those minerals and such that do not do good things for your cooling system.In a pinch it will work but long term it will cause issues.

It's what I had lying around. I'm gonna get distilled for the next time I need to fill it up

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's what I had lying around. I'm gonna get distilled for the next time I need to fill it up
You need to get the system flushed out.Those minerals in tap water/bottled water can cause buildup in the block,heads,and the fun one to chnage,the heater core.The longer you wait the more buildup in the system will occure making your cooling system less effective at being able to properly cool the engine.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get the system flushed out.Those minerals in tap water/bottled water can cause buildup in the block,heads,and the fun one to chnage,the heater core.The longer you wait the more buildup in the system will occure making your cooling system less effective at being able to properly cool the engine.

How much would be enough to cause a problem? I used maybe 2 ounces of water, the rest of what I put in was g-05.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity. i just replaced my water pump and the pump i put in had a metal impeller, you said in page one that the plastic impeller didnt like the universal coolants. but now that it has a metal impeller is it ok to use universal or still no?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the heads and block will be affected. HOAT doesn't react well with non distilled water.

Reginator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heater in my jeep was like a furnace when i went hunting in november. then i lent it to my pal for the month of december. he said he added antifreeze for me. and now that i read this, i think after that i had the problem where it only gets warm enough to defrost the windows but doesnt really heat up enough to keep you warm. but my gauge goes up halfway and the hoses to the heater core are hot hot hot.

anyway ,could this be because he used universal shit and not HOAT?! but to puzzle you more, he told me he added the antifreeze because the heater wasnt working.. and i have flushed the core with water and air , came out clean and didnt help :( brrrrrrrrrr

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when mine had the same problem, I also had intermittent heat. I let it run with the cap off the expansion tank and some bubbles worked their way through. Now it's sorted.

I do still need to flush the system and put HOAT in though

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The system bleeds itself with the small tube that runs from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank. If you look at the top of the tank you can see the coolant running in.
I just drained mine yesterday to replace the coolant. Unless you are going to flush the system with distilled water, about half the total capacity remains in the engine block.
All I could get out was 6 litres. I then flushed with tap water and almost got the two gallons of new coolant in, before it was full. The engine drain plugs are impossible to get to, without removing the engine.

Latest posts

Members online