I have to ask... why HOAT and not reg. antifreeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Ran Dexcool In mine with no issu'e i've always been a big fan of Dex 70K on it changed Water pump do to a leaking gasket, but itleaked since 30K. I used a sealer as a temp fix it took almost 70K to leak again and only after I did a coolant flush. Pump was in perfect condition upon removal could have reused I just figure if it's coming off why not replace. May be his did help contribute to my T-stat housing failure.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you actually get HOAT coolant from anywhere other than the dealership? I just drove around for an hour looking at different places for it. Of course Pepboys told me that Prestone is HOAT...which im guessing is wrong so I didnt get it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you actually get HOAT coolant from anywhere other than the dealership? I just drove around for an hour looking at different places for it. Of course Pepboys told me that Prestone is HOAT...which im guessing is wrong so I didnt get it.
Ford's Premium Gold coolant is HOAT,as is Zerex GO5(most commonly found/ordered at Napa).

And no prestone does not make a HOAT coolant.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
THERE IS NO "A" IN DEXCOOL!!!!!!!!!!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THERE IS NO "A" IN DEXCOOL!!!!!!!!!!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I believe that Dexacool is from the same company that makes Dextron ATF and Mobile 1 oil.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the universal coolant that says "compatible with any make/model and type of coolant"? I'm leaking coolant right now and had to buy some because my reservoir was bone dry...is it alright, or should I flush it and replace it with HOAT after I get the problem fixed?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you it's not hoat and will lead to problems. I would flush it and only use hoat and don't mix it with any thing else except distilled water for correct dilution.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the universal coolant that says "compatible with any make/model and type of coolant"?

Most of these are OAT Dex-clones. Many contain 2-EH, which is a known plasticizer (softens plastics). This can be harmful to some types of gaskets. Two common all makes/models (AMM) formulas which contain 2-EH are Prestone AMM and Peak long life. If I was going to use a universal, I'd use Peak Global Lifetime, which has no 2-EH. If in doubt, check with the mfr of the coolant you want to use. In general, though, it's probably safest to stay with G-05.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks...Yeah, like I said, it was an emergency situation. I asked for HOAT and they had no idea what I was talking about, and said "here, this will work fine."

Once I get the leak taken care of I'll flush it and replace with HOAT.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks...Yeah, like I said, it was an emergency situation. I asked for HOAT and they had no idea what I was talking about, and said "here, this will work fine."

Once I get the leak taken care of I'll flush it and replace with HOAT.
Ask for Zerex GO5(in gold bottle),mostly found at Napa but heard O'rielly's has it also but gotta ask directly for it.

Latest posts

Members online