I hate winter!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting salt down lowers the freezing point of water so at temps below 32 deg F (0 deg C) it will cause the snow/ice to melt making for better traction (you're basically just driving thru rainwater at that point). But the salt that gets put down mixes with the water and gets thrown up on EVERYTHING which also leads to premature rust if not taken care of. Be thankful you live where you will never have to worry about it :)

woow, that sux guys but yea I don't think I could live anywhere else..

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably after an ice storm, no set schedule. I believe the plows carry the salt with them.

Around here that's about how it works, here they use a mix of salt and sand mostly. When the snow plow plows the street it spreads the salt/sand mixture at the same time.

They are also using a salt brine solution, this is a newer thing they put on the roads in advance of a snowfall or when it is expected to be icy.

The idea with that is it coats the road and prevents it from icing up, and it stays where it's put better than the dry rock salt.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The "salt brine" stuff is magnisem chloride( pardon spelling) nasty stuff,ruin leather boots overnight if you get it on them. Good for ice-snow prevention,heck on everything else.

Boiler

Reaction score
I think they use the salt / salt solutions places that freezing / thawing / freezing cycles are common. In the heavy snow areas it is probably a bit pointless, plus those heavy snow areas usually have less traffic than in the rust belt.

Here is an example of what 4" backspacing + sand + salt + snow looks like after a 3 hour drive (washed before I left). These pictures do no justice. I actually took them because of how the ice on the side seemed to be growing straight out horizontal, and because of how far back it went:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what wet salty roads does to you after a couple hundred miles (also washed prior). You can't see much besides the rockers, but if you look at the flip glass for example, the entire jeep has a film on it. Silver hides it from a distance. If the jeep were black, everything would look like it had a white/grey film on it:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how they describe salt-brine use here (York Region, Ontario):

The use of a salt-brine solution sprayed on the roads before snowfalls to help prevent roads from icing and preventing snow and ice from bonding to the pavement, making it easier to remove

I should have taken a picture, the other day it was very cold and the local roads were still covered in brown, semi-frozen slushy stuff.

When I got home from driving around town I had a "growth" of the crap behind the front wheels which followed the curve of the tire and reached within an inch of the ground!

Dave

Boiler

Reaction score
Yeah I'm used to the fender / wheel well ice growth. I'm just not used to it growing all the way across the length of my door!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Make fun if you will but thats why I run cheap mudflaps during the winter to keep some of that crap off the sides where I get in and out!
Last snow.... off they come ! ;)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Just wait till you have rock rails there... snow and ice are attracted to them!:eek:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Here is how they describe salt-brine use here (York Region, Ontario):

I should have taken a picture, the other day it was very cold and the local roads were still covered in brown, semi-frozen slushy stuff.

When I got home from driving around town I had a "growth" of the crap behind the front wheels which followed the curve of the tire and reached within an inch of the ground!

Dave

What they don't tell you is that ... a million or so cars all covered in several pounds of that solution and going home to there driveways reduces the amount of snow they have to clear by 30 % ... :D

Just wait till you have rock rails there... snow and ice are attracted to them!:eek:

lol3.gif