I hate to ask...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I am having a bit of trouble making up my mind. I NEED tires. Yesterday was very wet here in Toledo and I cant count how many times the rear end got away from me. With the snow months coming I know I am doomed.

The problem is I plan on lifting the right way eventually. I'm not too sure what OME setup I want but I know I will be going that route eventually. But I cannot afford to do that now as well as buy tires for it. I CAN afford a spacer lift however with tires, allowing me to purchase something larger and not have to buy tires again once it is lifted.

I am thinking about going with the RRO setup w/ extended rear shocks. I will probably keep the factory struts until I get the ome kit.

I am not one to throw away money and I am HOPING that some of the pieces from the rro kit (since they are all external to the strut/spring) may be use able with the OME setup. Is that the case?? Also looking for thoughts from others if they were in/have been in this situation. Thanks!

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly why would you want to do a spacer lift, then redo it again in, what, a years time??. Plus I wouldn't mix the parts from RRO with the tried and true OME lift....

It ***** to wait (I waited a year or so as I pieced together what I needed as funds allowed), but you're better off waiting to save the funds for the proper lift instead of wasting your time with a spacer lift. Remember every time you change you have to factor in alignment costs and maybe some labor to assemble shocks etc... My initial thought is that you can buy tires now that are the proper size for your jeep, and probably easily sell them down the road and put the money towards bigger/beefier tires if that's what you want. Good luck trying to sell the used RRO parts to anyone...and if so, how much would you really get for them?

Alright I'm done lol :cheers:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But I am having a bit of trouble making up my mind. I NEED tires. Yesterday was very wet here in Toledo and I cant count how many times the rear end got away from me. With the snow months coming I know I am doomed.

The problem is I plan on lifting the right way eventually. I'm not too sure what OME setup I want but I know I will be going that route eventually. But I cannot afford to do that now as well as buy tires for it. I CAN afford a spacer lift however with tires, allowing me to purchase something larger and not have to buy tires again once it is lifted.

I am thinking about going with the RRO setup w/ extended rear shocks. I will probably keep the factory struts until I get the ome kit.

I am not one to throw away money and I am HOPING that some of the pieces from the rro kit (since they are all external to the strut/spring) may be use able with the OME setup. Is that the case?? Also looking for thoughts from others if they were in/have been in this situation. Thanks!

You will be throwing away money with the RRO anything
You do not want to use their spacer lift parts with good OME springs
I would suggest doing it right the first time and be done.
DO NOT go RRO and try to use their parts
Go 245-70-16s, can run them with minor rubbing unlifted then when lifted they still won't look too bad. There is a 05 white KJ running around Toledo with OME setup and 245-70-16s

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go 245-70-16s, can run them with minor rubbing unlifted then when lifted they still won't look too bad. There is a 05 white KJ running around Toledo with OME setup and 245-70-16s

This is what I needed to hear I think. I would be outed way more than 300 for a spacer lift should I have to buy new tires again. So if I can find something that will work for both heights and not look terrible that sounds like my best bet. Thank you sir.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is to get new 235/70s, then sell them when you don't need them. Especially if you can manage to sell them with the wheels.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with size Tom suggests. Then maybe stick a couple conduit nuts in to get it back close to OE height?

Bob

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check small local shops for cheap winter tire blems in the stock size, these are tires that are aesthetically damaged but still work fine,

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
here you go, OME 927/948 lift with extras set at 3.75 inches over new stock height, 245-70-16 Firestone Destination ATs at the time
This is Hart's he lives in North Toledo , good friend did a lot in my garage on it
white one of course, black one is one of mine
You must be registered for see images attach

ThatsMrGimp2U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good! I went with some wild country xtx's (TireMan) in your recommended size. So far no rubbing. Just gotta get me some of those Rubicon wheels and lift her up some :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks good! I went with some wild country xtx's (TireMan) in your recommended size. So far no rubbing. Just gotta get me some of those Rubicon wheels and lift her up some :)

Moab ( Rubicon wheels) would be too wide for 245-70-16s
8 inch wide wheel with a 7 inch tread width tire is not the best

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moab ( Rubicon wheels) would be too wide for 245-70-16s
8 inch wide wheel with a 7 inch tread width tire is not the best

Well.. Ya could if you wanted that cool ricer 'hella flush' look :gr_grin:

You got no idea the kids I've had roll into my shop asking us to camber in there wheels to give them that goofy ass look. Makes me go nuts.

Or those guys that want 22x14s with 33 12.50s on their lifted diesels! Ugh. :rice:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like the guy years ago that wanted a pair of 5.60-15s mounted on 8 inch Chevy Rallys
Some things were just not meant to stretch that far
and if you know what 5.60-15s are, well you've been around for a while :happy175::happy175:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the guy years ago that wanted a pair of 5.60-15s mounted on 8 inch Chevy Rallys
Some things were just not meant to stretch that far
and if you know what 5.60-15s are, well you've been around for a while :happy175::happy175:

Shit, the last time I did a set of bias plys was for some guys model T with wood spoked wheels, all done by hand. Can't believe he'd want a little skinny on there :happy175: I hope he didn't plan on putting those on a camaro or chevelle or the like... Poor guy. All I can do is feel bad. :icon_lol: Or another ricer?

But hey, sometimes more money than brains can be advantageous for us, right? :shrug::icon_lol::icon_lol:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run RRO arms and they are fine. In fact, they corrected the bad camber I had after adding a spacer lift.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see sig for tires.
I ran them on stock/sagged suspension for about a month until I had time to install the lift parts (also in my sig.)
not cheap, but damn good tires.

You must be registered for see images

unlifted. they rubbed at/near full lock.

i'll admit it looks better lifted... and with the plow attached :D

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online