How to tell if it is rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my new tires are rubbing at full turn. It is slight rub, just a bit more than what you would call "minor". How can I tell? Do I charcoal it up? Or is there another trick? I had my wife drive it over to the sidewalk and driveway and I noticed it is touching when it hits the bump, I am afraid it is gonna eat it up.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Rubbing what? The wheel well? Go down a quiet street where there's no traffic, and stick your head out the window while you're turning to see if you can hear it (and perhaps feel it).

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is, it cant be much, those tires you got arent that big. Mine rub and full turn very very lightly.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim, we are in the wheels/tire category, so it can't be my bum rubbing against seats :D

It feels and sounds like it is rubbing at full turn (I tend to take fast turns) so I am afraid the shoulders will get eaten up

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this won't be a problem and cause premature wearing? :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not a problem at all hyedipin. You should of seen and heard the rubbing I was getting with 255/70/16 tires on rims with 5" BS. You would of thought it was falling apart.

Kinda strange those tires are rubbing.

EDIT: How did you get that scratch on that fender?!

Edit#2: Shame Shame on those dirty fender wells!

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit#3: Now that I think about it, with my lift and stock tires, they rub the sway bar. Its not bad and Ive never been able to tell it, but the paint is gone on the sway bar where it rubs. I dont have any pics though.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: How did you get that scratch on that fender?!

Edit#2: Shame Shame on those dirty fender wells!

Edit#3: Now that I think about it, with my lift and stock tires, they rub the sway bar. Its not bad and Ive never been able to tell it, but the paint is gone on the sway bar where it rubs. I dont have any pics though.

Scratch on the fender, damn parkers near where I work, it is always tight over there, I hate them!

Dirty fender wells, I know, they were spotless two weeks ago, I drove through last weeks rain, and got dirty.

Yes, mine used to rub on the inside when I had the goodyears at full turn, never had problem though.

I got a video, let me see.. When I turn and hit a bump while turning GRRGHHHHH sound is what I hear, so this is not dangerous or anything, right?

vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gESX_hrT2rY

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i hear is you stressing your power steering and forcing it to hold at full lock which btw is not that great for it lol

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyde....That is the stock tire size so I am surprised that it is rubbing. Anyway, what if you got some of that "sidewalk chalk" the kids use and put it on the edge of the tire lugs and go a few feet and see if and where it rubs off. If it's that pinch weld thing sticking out in the wheel well you could "adjust" it.

Your wheel wells are filthy. You should be ashamed of yourself...:D haha

Dave

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, thats not dangerous hyedipin. If you like the tires and dont want to switch them out, dont worry about the rubbing.

And yes, holding the PS to lock like that isnt the best for it. I usually bump it then back off some.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, thats not dangerous hyedipin. If you like the tires and dont want to switch them out, dont worry about the rubbing.

And yes, holding the PS to lock like that isnt the best for it. I usually bump it then back off some.

I don't hold it too much either, I had to check since I have to turn it all the way when I am getting outta tight spots or while parking, etc.

About the tires, they've become a lot better, but they seem to slide on slightly wet roads, It makes me wanna drift the jeep!!

KJ2005

Reaction score
does anyone have the link to the post where a gouy cut his front bumper to above the toow hookw line for clearenace?

Members online

No members online now.