HOW TO: Kayak Rack (for under $35)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin311

Reaction score
Great idea and looks great!!! Went to Home Depot this morning and got the U-Bolts...the same ones you said. The seem a big too big...more of a gap between the side bar thats already on my 2003 Liberty Renegade. Might take them back and get a U thats not as wide but still has the length so that it will be snug even with the rubber bungee wrapped around. I was thinking of going 4.5 to 5ft on my bars...just to be able to hold 2 kayaks with no worries. Only thing is that I would have to buy two 8' pieces and cut them, but the 8' alum bars are slightly thinner gaged aluminum than the 4'. Think I might fill the insides with that Stop-Gap Expanding foam stuff for durability as an added extra. I know this post is a few years old and might not get commented back on that quickly...but let me know what you think about the smaller width U-bolts and the thinner gaged bars w/putting Stop Gap inside them.
Thanks!!!

Jeff