How to engage 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first 4x4 with a real transfer case (I had an explorer with a push button). My jeep goes into 4x4 hi very easily, but getting it to go from 4hi to neutral (to go into 4lo) is very difficult. I end up pulling very hard or pulling at several angles until it finaly pops into neutral then to 4lo. From 4lo it is incredibly hard to get it back to neutral and I end up pushing it straight from 4lo to 4hi. Also even when I get it from 4lo to neutral, it always makes a quick grinding sound going back into 4hi. Is this normal? My friend said his truck is similar, but I don't know that this is normal.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first 4x4 with a real transfer case (I had an explorer with a push button). My jeep goes into 4x4 hi very easily, but getting it to go from 4hi to neutral (to go into 4lo) is very difficult. I end up pulling very hard or pulling at several angles until it finaly pops into neutral then to 4lo. From 4lo it is incredibly hard to get it back to neutral and I end up pushing it straight from 4lo to 4hi. Also even when I get it from 4lo to neutral, it always makes a quick grinding sound going back into 4hi. Is this normal? My friend said his truck is similar, but I don't know that this is normal.

Read your owners manual, it will give you the proper way to shift between the different ranges. There can be some slight grinding between high and low. Over time you can get better at timing it right based off of speed. Also there is a moment that is needed when ******* into or out of neutral.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When shifting into Neutral and 4Lo on the T-case your Transmission needs to be in Neutral. to make the shifting in to 4Lo easier you need to be rolling at 2-3MPH as well. It's in your user manual as well and better worded.

Shifting from 2HI - 4HI can be done on the fly with transmission in drive.

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight from my owners manual:

Shifting Procedure

2H to 4H or 4H to 2H

Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the
vehicle in motion up to 55 mph (88 km/h). The transfer
case will engage/disengage faster if you momentarily
release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift.
Apply a constant force when shifting the transfer case
lever.

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift
an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the
clutch on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is
coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer
case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case N (Neutral).

NOTE: To shift from 4H to 4L, the shift lever should
pushed away from the driver, and then rearward into 4L.
In 4H, there is a neutral stop to prevent shifting into N
(Neutral) by accident.

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (Neutral) in vehicles
equipped with an automatic transmission may require
shutting the engine OFF to avoid gear clash while
completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift automatic
transmission to N (Neutral), hold foot on brake, and turn
engine OFF. Make shift to the desired mode.

NOTE: Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the
vehicle completely stopped, however difficulty may occur
due to the mating clutch teeth not being properly
aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch
teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred
method is with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L
with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5
km/h).

Hope that helps

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine use to be hard the first couple times putting it in 4Lo but i always just stop the jeep and put transmission in neutral then shift from 4hi to 4Lo. After doing it a couple of times it gets easier but do not push to hard I broke a plastic clip or something that pulls the cable and i was lucky and got it stuck in 2hi.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Help. I actually don't have the owners manual. I bought used and the jeep had a sort of irresponsible previous owner. I was not putting the transmission in neutral before changing to 4lo. Hope I didn't tear anything up...:pp:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have the owner's manual? When I bought my Jeep, I thought I didn't either, til my 9 year old daughter found it. There's a little slot behind the glove box door above the actual glove box. You can check there if you haven't already. Might get lucky ;)

RedJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks!

Are you sure you don't have the owner's manual? When I bought my Jeep, I thought I didn't either, til my 9 year old daughter found it. There's a little slot behind the glove box door above the actual glove box. You can check there if you haven't already. Might get lucky ;)

Awesome! I bought this Jeep about a month ago and thought I didn't have the manual either. Just went out to the driveway when I saw your post, and BAM! There's the manual with the business cards of the dealership where it was bought new. Seems to never have been opened. Cool.

Dan

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, glad you found it! I'd looked in the glove box so many times before my daughter found it. Every time I open it up, that little slot is completely hidden from view by the "oh $h!t" handle

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I see you have the 2003 Liberty Sport.
My 2002 Liberty Sport (CRD Manual) has the Command-Trac transfer case which does not have a differential on the transfer case to enable the front wheels to run at speeds seperate to the rear wheels.
This means that for the Command-Trac transfer case you can only use 4HI or 4LO for short distances at low speeds on very loose slippery surfaces.

The Selec-Trac system is different in that you can drive in 4 Full Time postion at any time.

I hope you do not have the Command Trac system as that may explain your problems and you may have caused some damage!:freak3:

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Comand track, but it shouldn't be an issue because I only use it in grass or gravel. But thanks, I really could shred some stuff if I was doing this on pavement. I tried it all again and when I put the transmission in neutral (which I wasn't before putting the t-case in neutral) it is as smooth as butter. Thanks for all your help and I will definitely check the glovebox again.

dexcqql

Reaction score
That's awesome, glad you found it! I'd looked in the glove box so many times before my daughter found it. Every time I open it up, that little slot is completely hidden from view by the "oh $h!t" handle

wow i just bought a 06 for the wife for winter driving and it didn't come with the manual (so i thought ).

Bam their it was Just were you said THANKS