HOW TO: Display 5 bolts on your full size spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I like the way my full-size spare looks uncovered as opposed to using a spare tire cover, I keep it glossed and out in the open. What I do not like is how the spare looks with only 3 lug nuts, leaving 2 unsighlty holes. I purchased the Mopar wheel lock set for my Renegade, so I had 4 leftover lug nuts for this project anyhow. Perfect!

Here's a brief tutorial on how I attached them:

I took a trip down to Ace Hardware, because in my area they have the biggest selection of obscure fasteners. I spent about half an hour looking around for what would work best and ended up with the following: two metric size M12 "automotive studs" and two retaining clips that fit the studs. I also have pictured two of the lugnuts I was left with when I installed my wheel locks. I took one of these with me to the store to make sure I was buying the right studs.

You must be registered for see images

I tried installing the parts as I got them from the store, and realized the studs were too long. There is no room behind the spare for them to stick out because the bracket gets in the way. To fix this, I chopped off a bit with a hacksaw. The amount you saw off may be more, less or none depending on how long your studs are.

Next I put the retaining clips on the cut side of the studs.

I placed the bolts in the empty holes of the wheel while dismounted from the bracket on the Jeep.

I then hand tightened the lug nuts over the studs.

To finish up the project, I mounted the tire back on the bracket of my Jeep. When I tightened down the other three lugnuts, I could hear the new studs seating into the retaining clips.

My Renegade's spare looks much better now!

dnm45227

Reaction score
You know that looks good and is a great way to make sure you have an exta couple of lug nuts handy. Never know when you might loose one changing a tire.

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up. I saw these on ebay quite a while ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spar...ewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQitemZ7990682142QQrdZ1

He is charging $5.95 but i found them in a pack of two at Napa for $.99. I too had extra lug nuts from when I installed my locking lug nuts. I installed them over a year ago and have not had a problem with them coming loose. I love it everytime I see another rear mounted spare with the empty holes I just think how mine looks alot better.

warchela

Reaction score
Tire Cover should be used

I heard that leaving a spare tire exposed to the sun's UV rays causes the rubber to degrade. If a tire is not being rotated, as on a wheel, the static position can cause the spare 's rubber to degrade significantly

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Tire Cover should be used

warchela said:
I heard that leaving a spare tire exposed to the sun's UV rays causes the rubber to degrade. If a tire is not being rotated, as on a wheel, the static position can cause the spare 's rubber to degrade significantly

I'd agree with that... and I practice five-tire rotations myself.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are back on ebay, i was wondering if $9 was too much for two nuts.
There's gotta be a way to use existing spare lugnuts, maybe a plastic retainer or something similar to what they are selling.. Home depot might have something like that we might be able to use..

You must be registered for see images attach

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
They are back on ebay, i was wondering if $9 was too much for two nuts.
There's gotta be a way to use existing spare lugnuts, maybe a plastic retainer or something similar to what they are selling.. Home depot might have something like that we might be able to use..

You must be registered for see images attach

I know there's a joke here...somewhere...

Latest posts

Members online