How to disable the Tyre Pressure System ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys have replaced the stock wheels of your beloved KJ by steel wheels in order to fit bigger tyres?

I believe there must be 100s of you guys and girls, probably many more.

Still I have never seen anyone mentioning the matter or is it because I cannot find it ?

So here it is: I am not sure if the Tyre pressure sensors are compulsory by Law in US but they are not in UK so I fitted nice 15in steel wheels with 31in Mickey Thompson MTZ Baja and the TPS Sensors are still with my old alloys 17in wheels. As Off roading requires to lower the tyre pressure regularly they became a non sense.

The TPM orange warning light in the Dashboard can be eliminated by removing the LED in the instrument cluster but everytime I start the engine I get a message in the Overhead Console System. I know this is absolutely normal as stated in the KJ Service Manual.

The question is: Can I stop this to happen myself? I went to the local dealer in Ashford, Kent. I asked the question and I was told this is not possible!

Hard to believe. Has anyone done it? Either themselves or via their Jeep garage?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are right as it is not possible do do on a KJ or KK.And yes by law here in the US any vehicle model year '08+ must have TPMS(besides commercial vehicles) and by law no shop or dealership can disable.

A way around it is you can have all the sensors removed from your stock wheels and make a PVC pipe with both ends caped,add a air pressure fitting and inflate to 33psi and keep in your KJ.May or may not work.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove all your sensors and get some duct tape and tape them to the inside of your spare tire on the rim. Now the jeep reads all the same pressure all the time...

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your original ideas guys but as I live by the sea, in 6 years I've had my Jeep the salty air has completely destroyed two of the old valves. Their end just broke when trying to pump up the tyres a while ago. As the valves are connected to their sensors I haven't got 5 sensors anymore but only 3. And over here they are expensive about £100 each.
It looks like I am stuck then.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve only holds them in the rim. Take even the broken ones and take the spare tire off the rim and tape them to the rim and remount the tire air it up and there ya go all done.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then your beat. Lol. Time to buy new ones and tape them to the rim. Lol

Nope I'm playing a game with mine.
My stock rims are in my pole barn 15 feet from where I park. It resets my light each night. Today I made it all the way to my works parking lot before it came on. I think it was Monday it reset at a parking lot. I'm going to miss playing soon,snow is melting almost time to take of winter wheels.

Members online

No members online now.