Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy Saturday. Seen some posts on bump stops but pictures were lacking. And YouTube only has the fronts. Here are some photos for ease for anyone in the future so you can confidently do it! Note: my Jeep is a commuter + family hauler car, no lift, and all suspension replacement has been “original ride” if you will.

My front and rears are original to the car on my 2004 Liberty. They’ve fallen apart and the rears literally crumbled all over the ground when I pulled em out lol. This took <10min for the front and about 30min for rear incl. hauling the jack outside.

The Mopar front bump stops are crazy expensive right now, $120 EACH on RockAuto. So I went w the ones everyone hates, Crown Automotive at $30 for the SET on AMZN. Could replace 8 times over for same price. The rears I grabbed the Mopar ones off RockAuto for $20 a piece (52088705AE).

Tools:
- jack
- jack stands
- screwdriver (flat or Phillips don’t matter)
- WD-40, Windex, etc. a lubricant
- your hands

Fronts:
1) Where car is parked (no need for jack), simply pull the old ones out. They might feel stuck but pull w your hand.
2) Install new ones. There are 4-6 grooves (see pics) that the bump stop is held onto. I sprayed this section of the new rubber w WD-40, got one side in w my hand, then using a screwdriver pressed in the remaining sections until it stuck. Done!

Rears:
1) Jack up vehicle under the rear axle pumpkin.
2) Set rear most section of frame rail, but before the rear lower control arms, on jack stands. *I didn’t drop the rear all the way down (like to the level needed to get the coil springs off), just enough I could push the new bump stop between the spring.
3) Pull the old one out w your hands.
4) Like the front, there are grooves that hold the stop in (see pics). Insert the new one after lubricating the sides of the flat end. Get a side in then push remaining w your screwdriver while twisting. I also used a small 2x4 to push up on the bottom of the bump stop while simultaneously pushing inwards w the screwdriver. You know it’s seated when you can rotate it 360 degrees in place.

Easy job. I had already done new Moog coil springs last fall, but this is a good project to knock that out at the same time (very easy). Good luck out there.

You must be registered for see images attach

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that front looks like it is sitting low in that one picture
What's the measurements ( center of left front wheel to bottom of the flare )

Good write up though

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that front looks like it is sitting low in that one picture
What's the measurements ( center of left front wheel to bottom of the flare )

Good write up though
Oh yeah no doubt. Front strut assemblies are original, not yet gotten around to that. Just measured about 18”. Pretty low? (I know you’ve posted measurements before just can’t recall)

Dave_too

Reaction score
Happy Saturday. Seen some posts on bump stops but pictures were lacking. And YouTube only has the fronts. Here are some photos for ease for anyone in the future so you can confidently do it! Note: my Jeep is a commuter + family hauler car, no lift, and all suspension replacement has been “original ride” if you will.

My front and rears are original to the car on my 2004 Liberty. They’ve fallen apart and the rears literally crumbled all over the ground when I pulled em out lol. This took <10min for the front and about 30min for rear incl. hauling the jack outside.

The Mopar front bump stops are crazy expensive right now, $120 EACH on RockAuto. So I went w the ones everyone hates, Crown Automotive at $30 for the SET on AMZN. Could replace 8 times over for same price. The rears I grabbed the Mopar ones off RockAuto for $20 a piece (52088705AE).

Tools:
- jack
- jack stands
- screwdriver (flat or Phillips don’t matter)
- WD-40, Windex, etc. a lubricant
- your hands

Fronts:
1) Where car is parked (no need for jack), simply pull the old ones out. They might feel stuck but pull w your hand.
2) Install new ones. There are 4-6 grooves (see pics) that the bump stop is held onto. I sprayed this section of the new rubber w WD-40, got one side in w my hand, then using a screwdriver pressed in the remaining sections until it stuck. Done!

Rears:
1) Jack up vehicle under the rear axle pumpkin.
2) Set rear most section of frame rail, but before the rear lower control arms, on jack stands. *I didn’t drop the rear all the way down (like to the level needed to get the coil springs off), just enough I could push the new bump stop between the spring.
3) Pull the old one out w your hands.
4) Like the front, there are grooves that hold the stop in (see pics). Insert the new one after lubricating the sides of the flat end. Get a side in then push remaining w your screwdriver while twisting. I also used a small 2x4 to push up on the bottom of the bump stop while simultaneously pushing inwards w the screwdriver. You know it’s seated when you can rotate it 360 degrees in place.

Easy job. I had already done new Moog coil springs last fall, but this is a good project to knock that out at the same time (very easy). Good luck out there.

Looks like those rear bumpstops had a blow torch taken to them! Great pictures.

Cogscidawg

Reaction score
Nice! I replaced the front bump stops but haven't tried the back yet. Very helpful!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah no doubt. Front strut assemblies are original, not yet gotten around to that. Just measured about 18”. Pretty low? (I know you’ve posted measurements before just can’t recall)
19 inches , new left front

Blue Gen

Reaction score
I'd be very obliged to have a recommendation for an upgraded, top of the line front bump stop for 02 Liberty. So far what I've purchased doesn't last a year. Very poor rubber. I"m hoping someone makes a high grade bump ?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

runfor5

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ohhh I may call and order! Someone posted in April the set was $60. Not bad. These cheap $10 each Crown front bump stops are already fallen apart on mine sure enough haha. The Mopar ones are still $120 PER it’s wild.
If you are going through bumpstops that fast I bet with sagged suspension it is hitting every bump and trashing them

Dave_too

Reaction score
If you are going through bumpstops that fast I bet with sagged suspension it is hitting every bump and trashing them
Tom's advice is well-worth listening to. I had the Crowns in for about a year before I replaced them with Terraflex. No excess wear in that short amount of time with them, though I'm glad to be rid of them.

Latest posts

Members online