How to adjust tension of the parkingbrake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cyberdrone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I did a service on my jeep and was trying to find a way to adjust the tension of the parking / hand brake, but could not find how.

Can someone explain to me how this can be done ?
I thought there would be soem way to adjust this underneath the mid console where the cd storage is .. but could not find anything that looked like it.

(sorry for my English, I'm from Europe)
Thx in advance

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the back of the brake rotor/drum part on the bottom there is a little rubber fitting. Pull that out with a flat head screwdriver or pliers. There is a star nut inside there that can be used to adjust the tension. Has to be done from outside the Jeep. Unless someone else knows how to adjust the inside?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere that rolling backwards and slowly working the E brake handle up and down will adjust it, but I'm not sure, I've never tried it. :shrug:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tied a little wire around that tab and back down to a bracket that holds the console. Keeps her nice and tight now! 3 clicks holds it.

Thing loosens up over time.

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just adjusted mine today. The star wheel inside the brake is the adjustment. I thought old school cable adjustment, but no. Adjust as stated by CzarKJ. You need to bring wheel off ground to spin and check the amount of friction caused by adjustment...too much, and you'll burn up your brakes. Also-by rolling backwards and applying brake pressure to pedal, adjustment is automatically performed by ratchet mechanism attached to star wheel, not by brake lever. As you roll backward, apply brake several times to get that ratchet to move star wheel a few clicks. :33: