HOW TO: Add Under-Dash Courtesy Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dh010447

Reaction score
tis the season to do those mods.....

found a couple of the well lights yesterday. work perfect. I like the idea of a couple for the rear also.

been on a binge with adding stuff. The well lighting, Auto-dim mirror, EVIC installed and powered correctly, another power outlet in the front, power outlet (to do) under the drivers seat for the back seaters.

I wired up the rear view mirror as part of my EVIC install - but I forgot to wire up the ground cable. Cut the damn cable short too. Well, I guess thats a project for next weekend.

dh010447

Reaction score
Looks like the RB3/4 that comes in certain KJs.
This page has all the info on them as well as the RB1 equivalent.

Great - thanks, will check it out. Just ordered myself a cassette adapter (didn't even know they made them anymore) for now... BUT I can see a new radio on the horizon...

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the OEM RB4 Unit.
I can get you as many close ups as you need :)
Just drop me a line!

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. V

Thanks for the idea on the rear foot well lighting. Just finished wiring them in last night. Another useful mod completed.

Also added two extra power outlets to the interior. First one is in the console up front and faces the passenger door. The second is under the drivers seat at the passengers feet.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an experiment, I added a driver's side cold cathode courtesy light. Because it's a long tube, I ran it 'across' the hole where the factory courtesy light would go. But most of the 12" tube is inside the under-dash cover.

It works great, except it's like the Light Of God-- very bright, but I'm not complaining. Will add passenger side when I have the patience to get ahold of that wiring.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. V

Thanks for the idea on the rear foot well lighting. Just finished wiring them in last night. Another useful mod completed.

Also added two extra power outlets to the interior. First one is in the console up front and faces the passenger door. The second is under the drivers seat at the passengers feet.

:)

Nice!!! How about some photos of the power outlets? I have been thinking of adding one or two for a while..

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets try this again...
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one up front was easy.

The back one was trickier.

Really, both were easy to do. Both were pulled from the salvage yard with a pigtail to match. The front one simply took a drilled hole the proper size for the outlet to snap in. I cut this one kinda close due to the duct in the console. Added some wire and ran it over to the drivers knee bolster. The back one is kinda special. I used a badly beat up C-cell MagLite to hold the socket. The secret here is the end with the threads for the end cap is just right for a secure snug friction fit. I simply took the end cap and removed the threads and drilled a hole in it for the wires to pass thru. The wires run into the console and end up with the front one at the knee bolster. I spliced these together and ran them thru the fire wall and fused them at the battery for a another pair of constant hot outlets. I originally wanted to put it in the back of the console. Way to much junk back there.

And it has proven to be a very useful mod to the KJ.

jjr110481

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but on the subject....... I'm finally doing front and rear coutesy lights AND puddle lamps this week! Exciting

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but on the subject....... I'm finally doing front and rear coutesy lights AND puddle lamps this week! Exciting

You'll love 'em! Totally changes the character and look of the Libby's interior. Post pics from before and after!

Bob

jjr110481

Reaction score
i finished in about 30 mins.... crazy right? i expected to be out there all night dug in for a hard battle..... the harnesses were just hanging down in plain sight on both drivers AND passengers side! i couldn't believe it! i have pics of before and after not reall sure how to post em since im a newbie but theres others around here somewhere any way, but im totally stoked it looks awsome and very practical, next up: rear courtesy and puddle lamps.

jjr110481

Reaction score
Cool thanks ill post them tomorrow.... I used 2 12" led strips( 1 for each side) just snipped off the stock connector and wired em up...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding LED strips (I have liberty so I already have front courtesy lights) but wanted to add some to the back.
Do you still have the auto dimming with yours or do they just shut off?

jjr110481

Reaction score
Yep still got the auto dim I was surprised, but the do seem to wink out sooner than the stock bulbs did

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting for those pix. :)