HOW TO: Add Under-Dash Courtesy Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainz05

Reaction score
Well, I tried repeatedly to cut the greyish tape that keeps the passenger side connector from coming free. The bundle it is part of is in a u-channel with maybe a 1/4 in between it's open end and the heater box. After the third try yesterday, another 1.5 hr out of my life and more holes/cuts/cramps in my fingertips, I officially gave up. The driver's side took 5-10 minutes... and, since I drive it alone a great deal, is really sufficient. The dealer will buy back the unopened lamp... ohhh, $10!

BTW, the passenger side is easier to see if you remove the glove box door, by dropping the door to it's extreme, pushing in it's 'keepers' to allow further rotation, sliding the door ~1 in to the right and pulling it away. Re-install by lining up the door's hinge's with the flats to the right of the hinge pins and sliding the door to the left. For safety's sake, remove the battery's negative terminal... that airbag can be lethal.

Stainz05

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
There is that connector for the under dash lights

Ok, I finally got the chance to go out and try removing that panel... Sure enough, a slight pull just under the steering wheel column...there are four clips and also two wire brackets holding this panel...SO EASY! It took a few mins...could not find that damn connector. I took the inspection mirror and started to look in that channel..yup, there it is. This is the best way to go to locate this connector... sorry I did not have this info just a little sooner...I hope this helps anyone else attempting to do this project. Now, my question... are the lights all wired and set to just plug in and screw down? I have not ordered them yet.. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images

LOOK BEHIND THIS CHANNEL!

Stainz05

Reaction score
You still must remove the bottom cover (Two 7mm hex head screws and a push in or two at the firewall.) to mount the lamp assembly - just above the site where the hole in the bottom cover is (The passenger side is actually a recessed 'tunnel'.). Plug the connector into the lamp. Remove the screw on the edge of the support (Same 7mm hex head...) to mount the factory lamp. Re-install that lower panel...

Sadly, that passenger side will remain 'dark' in my '05 Sport...

Stainz05

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
I ordered the lights yesterday from the stealership....I had to pay $11.50 each...so much for $10 like I see quoted elsewhere... um...guess that is why they are known as "stealerships"....
I've dropped the panels before while trying to locate these connectors...don't think there should be any issues.

Dirtnapper

Reaction score
I finally got to put these in today..just above 40 deg. It took me longer in the beginning to try to find the connectors then to actually install them. Again, drop the glove box and the panel under the steering wheel...with luck the connectors may be there like mine. I did not have to cut the tape...there was enough wire! Good luck. By the way, the stealership said $11.50...yes, they got me for $12.56 each...BEWARE.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good pix, thanks for the update. It's really quite a difference isnt it? Or maybe I'm just deluding myself :)

-Blu

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Courtesy Light Addition

I noticed several questions and some frustration in adding the
lower courtesy lights. Hopefully, these pictures will clarify
the procedure.

1. Driver's side. Remove two Phillips head screws securing the
bottom panel. Pull down and out, uncoupling the two guide
posts near the firewall.

2. Drop the lower front panel by unsnapping two retainers
at the top (this may require some effort) and letting it hinge
open at the bottom (see picture below). This gives you easy
access to the wiring harness that contains the courtesy light
connector (center of pic., under steering column). It should
untape and drop down.
01.jpg

3.Plug the two pin connector (red/yellow wires) into the
courtesy light and mount it using the screw already there.
Reinstall the panels.

4.The passenger side is a little trickier. The tools pictured here should
help (Phillips head, small slot screwdriver; needle nose pliers; drill;
scissors; flashlight; mirror; beverage (not shown).
02.jpg

5. Remove the passenger bottom panel as in step #1. Drop the
glove box down by pushing in the side retainers.

6. Remove the glove box by sliding it to the right and dis-
connecting (see picture of hinge below).
03.jpg

7. The wire bundle containing the connector is right behind the bar
shown. This procedure will disconnect the wires from the bar and
allow you to pull the wires up in order to gain easy access to the
connector. Locate the hole in the left of the picture.
04.jpg

8. Using the needle nose (or a slot screwdriver), pinch the
harness connector and push, releasing the harness.
05.jpg

9. There is a second harness connector you will need to access
by drilling a 1/4" hole approximately 4 1/2" in from the right side
glove box opening as shown at the pencil mark below. (As you can
see, it took me a couple of guesses to locate it and I still came up
short). Fortunately these access holes will not show. Although my
holes are not in the best position, I was
determined not to drill any more, and was able to reach it the hard
way. This is a double walled channel; there should be nothing
behind the hole. Proceed cautiously, however. I used a hand drill
here as a precaution
Use a screwdriver or needle nose to disconnect the second harness
retainer.

10. Once unclamped, the harness can be pushed up and exposed
as shown below. You should not need to unplug anything.
The courtesy light connector will be readily apparent.
06.jpg

11. Once you carefully cut the retaining tape, you can drop the
connector down as shown. Snap the harness back into place
and complete the installation as in step #3 above.
07.jpg

Now it's time to enjoy your beverage! Thanks to BluPhant and CoasterG for their posts that made this installation possible!

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very cool find!

I've been on some other boards, but you guys know what you're talking about! Thank you for such a cool and easy how-to.
I was able to find the drivers side, no problem. Passenger side, I was able to feel it, stretched it until the tape was taunt, used a very small knife and cut the tape just slightly, using my finger as a guide. It just came free.
Now for the real shocker. Stealership charged me $15.58 for each one!!! Damn. But I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Good job guys.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine in, but instead of the light from the dealer I got LED lights online, which we less expensive, waterproof and guaranteed for life. AND, they are only $7 for 2 set of 3.
All you have to do is tap into the wires instead of using the plug.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36868
Thanks for the wealth of information on this site guys, much appreciated.

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if this is possible on an 07? this seems like a really easy (well hopefully) and worthwhile idea.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Job!
Had this in mind for quite some time now, managed to find the lights afew days ago on ebay. :)))

Any chance somebody could throw in a couple of daytime snap shots with the lights installed? I'm kind of confused, can't figure out the e x a c t spot where they are supposed to mount.

Thanks

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got round to updating this HOW TO..

This is what I did for both front and rear seats, using OEM courtesy lights:

The front part was done exactly as it has been described above. I'm just adding some shots to clarify some blind spots.
Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

This is where the light mounts. By the way the screw was already there n my '05.

I did like the result, but lighting the front footwells made the rear ones look like the could use an upgrade.
So when I was upgrading to power seats I thought it would be a good idea add some light in the back.

I decided to mount the lights on the front seats, (instead of the rear as shown in this great writeup http://www.jeepprojects.com/content.php?article.4)
for three reasons:
1) This would save me some storage space under the rear seats and
2) Had I mounted it under the rear seat, the passenger's feet would obstruct the light when the seat was occupied.
3) Did not have to fabricate any brackets as the light bolts on the seat frame as you can see in the pics.

There is a whole in the carper right under the front seats used to run the seat harness. I simply run the wires trough that whole, to the panel on the side wall and to the front, where I spliced the existing courtesy wiring.

The final result:

Enjoy! :D

wesuri85

Reaction score
Thanks m_volyrakis, this answered a question I had yesterday of just how this would look in my KJ.

Good show! It looks wonderful.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you wesuri! This is a great mod. Not only helpful, but also makes the jeep look much more "high end".

dh010447

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Went to the local scrap yard today and picked myself up a couple of these... Got them fitted in minutes! :)

Now to get my OTIS and auto dimmimg mirrow fitted....

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tis the season to do those mods.....

found a couple of the well lights yesterday. work perfect. I like the idea of a couple for the rear also.

been on a binge with adding stuff. The well lighting, Auto-dim mirror, EVIC installed and powered correctly, another power outlet in the front, power outlet (to do) under the drivers seat for the back seaters.