How to add an extra inch or two (to the stock jack)...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a flat recently... jacked up the KJ with the stock jack to the max height, pulled out the flat... when I tried to install the inflated spare, it would not fit; the KJ was not jacked up high enough (because my KJ is lifted). Lucky for me I found stacks of plywood nearby so I stacked them high enough...and blah blah blah

Anyway, anybody have any suggestions on how to add about 2" to the stock jack? I thought about a wooden block, but isn't that kinda dangerous?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow nuts. I was able to swap out a flat I had using my spare jack. However, I have the 2" BDS lift so I'm not sure if that enabled me to remove/install a tire using the stock jack.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, anybody have any suggestions on how to add about 2" to the stock jack? I thought about a wooden block, but isn't that kinda dangerous?
Nope, go for it.

If you want to stay with the OEM jack, cut off a small piece of 2x4 that is a few inches longer than the base of the jack, stow it under your seat, and go for it the next time you have a flat.

Big rig drivers routinely stick 2x4's under each of their trailer's landing gear when parked on asphalt so the loaded trailer won't sink when not hooked to the truck. The total weight of a loaded trailer can be as high as 60,000 lbs or so. Jacking a Liberty with some wood under the jack is no problem at all....

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a flat recently... jacked up the KJ with the stock jack to the max height, pulled out the flat... when I tried to install the inflated spare, it would not fit; the KJ was not jacked up high enough (because my KJ is lifted). Lucky for me I found stacks of plywood nearby so I stacked them high enough...and blah blah blah

Go to a parts store and get a 8-12 ton bottle jack and throw that OEM scissor jack away(to slow and scary at best to use).The '02 models came with a bottle type jack but was just as useless(mechanical not hydralic),getting a nice 8-12 ton hydraulic bottle jack will be more then enough(height wise and lift power) for a lifted KJ.I find it best to lift the front wheels(one at a time) by placing the bottle jack under the LCA with the head of the jack in one of the voids on the underside of the LCA.For the rear just jack under the axle tube closes to the flat.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the stock shocks? Just wondering because if the regular daystar lift is all you have then you should be able to get the jeep off the ground with the stock jack..

I had the scissor jack and I crushed it... twice.. So I bought a stock bottle jack from an 02 liberty off ebay and it works great. My stock scissor jack wouldnt lift mine off the ground since I have longer shocks on the front, but the bottle jack from the 02 libby lifts it off the ground no problem..

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to spend little to no money on this issue...after all, I don't plan on getting flat tires frequently. So I guess the wooden block idea is the way to go. Thanks!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's safe. I've kept a small piece of 2x4 under the seat myself.

I thought that was there for security reasons..... :)

I'm trying to spend little to no money on this issue...after all, I don't plan on getting flat tires frequently. So I guess the wooden block idea is the way to go. Thanks!

Good idea. Like I previous stated in my above post that I was fortunate to have my jack work when I needed it. However, since I have bought a larger jack and it was scary to fully extend that scissor jack as high as possible to change my tire out.

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you brought this up! I hadn't even considered it with my lift. I thought the idea to use the plywood scraps was good. I'll probably sandwich some between some aluminum plates for future use. Thanks for the tip.