How often do you check fluid levels ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After reading some posts on various forums about oil level/ transmission / etc being low how often to you realistically check yours?
I know some , like me , have a regular routine when it comes to things like that, but just wanting to see whats average.
For oil, brake, PS, transmission, cooling system, tire pressure I do at least once per week but generally 2 times. If going on a longer trip check everything day before I go and that morning again before I leave.
Diffs, transfer case at least every 2 weeks and also spend enough time while under there to look at lines, mounts etc as well

SO??? Am I totally **** or maybe not **** enough ??

I like to keep everything I own to be ready to go in a moments notice in case of emergency etc
Just like when an Ex- Girlfriend called me one Saturday night at midnight and wanted to know if she was to be at my house at 5 AM I'd be ready to go to Oklahoma to see her son at Ft. Sill . 5:05 AM Sunday we left :happy175::happy175:She knew I'd be ready to go anywhere / anytime too bad her boyfriend at the time did not see it as a good thing! :gr_grin::gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oil- whenever I get gas, or once a week if I don't drive it much.
Trans- used to check it every time I'd get oil since I had a few leaks but after the rebuild there aren't any leaks so I might check it every few weeks.
Coolant- every week
Other stuff (diffs, xfer case), if it doesn't leak the fluid should still be there. Check for leaks every oil change.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I check all my fluids about every 1500 miles. So that's when I change my oil and in the middle of my 3k miles OCI.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diffs & transfer case I don't, as Hoosier said, unless there's a leak. I do look under the vehicle before I get in and after every stop for signs of leaks. Oil, coolant etc, at least once a week when I check and top up the washer bottle, more often if I've been using the washers a lot. Curiously, the law here only requires you to keep the washer bottle filled - if you are running out of oil, air in the tyres or whatever - your problem unless there is an accident which your vehicular neglect has caused/contributed to.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I am not as particular as Tom, but close..
I like to know it is not going to fall apart!
Check Oil and all under hood fluid almost every time I drive it. Part of pre-trip.
It goes up on lift 2x per year for brake check & tire rotation, and Diff/ TC cases etc leak inspections & checked for full level then.
Tire pressure, the silent Armors don't seem to leak, and I can tell by looking at sidewall if they are down.
I have compressor & tire gauge ready, but always check them before a hwy run.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a reminder on my calendar to check the oil on the 15th of every month. As little as I drive that might be only 400-500 miles. I also check it before every long trip.

For coolant, I monitor the overflow reservoir. If it moves at all I check the radiator. For the record, I have never had to add a drop of anything anywhere.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every oil change I check up all fluids except diffs. Those I don't check unless there is a leak/noise or interval time. Mine doesn't consume much oil so unless I'm doing a long run (100+ miles) I don't check anything.... that reminds me I should probably grease a few things....

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set my wife's interval on service to the lowest (2 or 2.5k) so I am reminded to check oil levels. As for the other fluids, I do them during oil changes for the most part. I keep her car at about the 3k mile mark for changes and strictly use Castrol 5-30 high mileage with a Mopar filter.

Call me a stickler but I don't buy into the oil change deals at the local stores for X filter with X oil type. I've always used Castrol in all of my cars and when it comes to fluids, I try to keep the OEM stuff as much as possible (e.g. Mopar concentrated coolant).

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil, trans, coolant, PS and brake fluid are checked monthly. Tire pressures roughly every two weeks or whenever there is a major temperature change (+/- 10 degrees F).

Differentials and transfer case are checked once per year or as needed except as mentioned below.

Seems to be working out well, service interval is set at 4,000 miles, at that time, I check everything. If I noticed oil consumption, or fluid loss, I'd check more often.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil/Trans I check once a week. Diff's I just keep an eye out for leaks. Power steering once a month. Coolant same as oil/trans. Tires once every two weeks until it gets cold then it's every 2-3 days. Bitter cold winter in Colorado I'd check the air in the tires daily. Everything gets checks before and after a long trip.

Members online

No members online now.