How much fuel is really left?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the one road trip that I have taken, the low fuel buzzer chimed and the EVIC said it had about 40 miles to go on the tank (the estimated MPG at the time was 21). When I stopped and filled up, it took 14.5 gallons, meaning I had about 5 gallons left.

Last night I was driving along and noticed the KJ was at an 1/8 of a tank by the fuel gauge (how did that happen so fast?!). I stopped for gas, and only put in 14.1 gallons. I believe that I have a 19.5 gallon tank, so the gauge and the EVIC seem to off by upwards of three gallons of gas. Of course, I don't expect the EVIC to say zero and you run of out of gas, although why not?!

Anyone else notice this? :-s

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ugh, YES! I was down at 1/4ths of a tank just yesterday. (I don't have an EVIC)...filled up, and the pump stopped at 11.7 gallons. Uh, that just doesn't add up, and I've just learned to live with it. I never trust gas gauges anyway.

I've noticed that mine is off by around 4 gallons. The gas *LIGHT*, however, seems to be dead on accurate.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently the gas light will "ding" at almost precisely the 4.5gallon left mark (15 gallons empty). I look at it this way...
If you're travelling on the interstate (roadtripping!) at 60mph and getting around 20mpg that's about 90 miles before you're pushing it. Factor in a construction slow-down (stop and go) and the vehicle loaded down with people and luggage with the A/C on max, and that might get you closer to 65-70 miles. Hopefully the engineers have overestimated the "empty" signal just right so you don't have to ask little Johnny to get out of his baby seat and push the 4000lb vehicle.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled out my '04 owners manual. It says that the low fuel warning light comes on at 2.7 gallons. I have never seen the light as the fuel gage would make me think that I'm out of gas! LOL. Now under the "fuel gage", it says that "a small arrow indicates the side of the vehicle where the filler cap (gas cap) is located." LOL again. I was wondering about that... #-o

Anyway, on the EVIC, it says about "Miles to Empty", that it estimates the fuel remaining by the projected fuel economy. It just must under estimate the MPG. On my next road trip, I am going to push it and find out how much gas it really has! \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Brave you are, Grogie!!! Does Chrysler Roadside have gas just in case you run out? \:D/

I just took a trip to Alabama... never pushed it. Longest I went down here without buying gas was 250 miles. My calculations are telling me that I'm getting 23.9MPG @ an average speed of 70MPH, 2 passengers, and a week's worth of clothes. Tire pressure is 34LBS. VERY satisfied!!! =P~

Most gas I ever put in was around 10 gallons.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Brave you are, Grogie!!! Does Chrysler Roadside have gas just in case you run out? \:D/
I was told that up here in Canada, they will supply you with up to 5 gallons of fuel (or less, depends on whatever they feel will get you to the next station) but only twice per calender year. If you do it a third time (or more), they will have you towed and you'll be responsible for the charges.
I have no idea how reliable this information is, it's just what I was told.
Another thing, roadside also will provide you with maps for any trips you might be going on (just phone the 800 number) you can request this service up to 9 times per year. I guess if you can afford more than 9 trips a year, you probably have enough money to buy your own maps! :icon_smile:

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marlonjbt said:

I just took a trip to Alabama... never pushed it. Longest I went down here without buying gas was 250 miles. My calculations are telling me that I'm getting 23.9MPG @ an average speed of 70MPH, 2 passengers, and a week's worth of clothes. Tire pressure is 34LBS. VERY satisfied!!! =P~

Most gas I ever put in was around 10 gallons.

250? That's all? How big is your tank? I think I have the 19.5 gal. On a road trip, if I did get 23 (which I think I would... the EVIC has read as high as 24.1)... that's almost 450 miles. My dream come true! My Honda has a range of 330 miles. 450 is much better! Although truth be told, my little lady would never stand for 450 miles without a stop. 8-[

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only get about 250 miles a tank as well, but I get between 13-14, maybe 15 with a strong tail wind, regardless of whether it is all city or all highway driving. My mpg just doesn't move very much.

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage

:-k I can't believe you only get 250mi. per tankful , yoda !
Maybe during this time of year when the gas companies oxygenate their gasoline. The highest mileage I've accumulated was 350 , but that was pushing it . I was pretty much running on fumes by the time I pulled into a service station. #-o

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh, no!!! I could have gone much longer, but didn't want to risk it. I can't sit that long without stretching....so, we stopped at gas stations, and just filled up each time.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Mileage

MTN GTO said:
:-k I can't believe you only get 250mi. per tankful , yoda !
Maybe during this time of year when the gas companies oxygenate their gasoline. The highest mileage I've accumulated was 350 , but that was pushing it . I was pretty much running on fumes by the time I pulled into a service station. #-o

Yeah, it really sux. But I think we figured out what was wrong on another thread here. I am putting a K&N air filter in the Libby, rather than this crappy cheap lube shop filter I got stuck with. Then hopefully that will get me back to the 17 plus that I used to get.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine ranges anywhere from 250-290 per tank. It really depends on how I drive and what the weather has been like. Uses more in the winter cause I let it warm up a bit before I blast off for work. Plus that lead right foot of mine doesn't exactly help my case.

Got my light to come on last sunday for the first time (comes on when ya got 3 gal. left for those who have the 18.5 gal. tank) and got about 260. Ran it back down and had to fill it up again today ](*,) . Thought I got crappy milage and actually got 285 out of this one. Weather was rainy and mild all week, so maybe the MILD temps give you better milage verses the extremely hot and cold temps.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read yesterday in the '02 shop manual that the EVIC (for those that have it) estimates miles left by your MPG over the last 30 gallons. So, if I get on the interstate, it's going to be lower due to my usual driving conditions.

Gobble Gobble!

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be driving to Ohio from Colorado (1200 miles) in mid December. I'll let you all know how I do on mpg, my EVIC, and how many miles I go before I stop. I used to go about 410 miles before refueling in my Camry. I am one of those that drives till the tank is sucking fumes (unless I know there's no ful stop for too many miles). No time to stop for the restroom. Hold it in and suffer. Three stops from CO to OH. The extra stop is usually for a quick 3 hr nap because I always leave from work (4pm) when I do the trip annually. It's 20 hrs of driving.

It'll be interesting to see how I do in my KJ.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
I'll be driving to Ohio from Colorado (1200 miles) in mid December. I'll let you all know how I do on mpg, my EVIC, and how many miles I go before I stop. I used to go about 410 miles before refueling in my Camry. I am one of those that drives till the tank is sucking fumes (unless I know there's no ful stop for too many miles). No time to stop for the restroom. Hold it in and suffer. Three stops from CO to OH. The extra stop is usually for a quick 3 hr nap because I always leave from work (4pm) when I do the trip annually. It's 20 hrs of driving.

It'll be interesting to see how I do in my KJ.

Nice! I drive home to CO from IN each year to see family (grew up in FC myself... wife in Littleton). I usually drive straight in... about 17 hours. I'm use to stopping every 300 miles in a Civic, so 400 would be great.

I think the KJ wil be real nice for a long road trip! Great view, and nice and comfortable inside. I am looking forward to next year's trip.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fouros said:
they make a 31 gallon replacement tank for the KJ in Australia

I'll bet that it is not legal for us to import this tank and install it is it? Also, could we even get it here if we wanted to? I too am stuck with the small tank...and my mileage travails have been covered before....31 gallons would be wonderful.

Members online

No members online now.