How long can a kj stand around?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going on a little trip out of the country and ill be gone for about a month. Is there anything you guys suggest i do to the kj since its going to be standing around for a month?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Other than disco the battery as previously said... you might want to lock the doors :p

I can't think of anything else either. There's nothing to really do.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left mine for almost a month (24 days) in the garage when I went to Florida last year. I didn't do anything to it. When I got back it started right up and it was cold out too. But it was in the garage and it does not really freeze in there.

Dave

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd also leave as little fuel in the tank as possible and get the whole thing washed before putting it away if it is going to be inside a garage.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd also leave as little fuel in the tank as possible and get the whole thing washed before putting it away if it is going to be inside a garage.

with the way fuel prices are going I'd fill up the tank at today's prices, and dump in some stabilizer to save a few dollars. :p

Unless the oil market crashes... (it's coming... the question is when)

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet. i guess ill put in some fuel stabilizer before i leave since i have a full tank in it

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some cardboards under the tires. Not that it will help anything. :D

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Stabilizer

Question for you guys in the know - is fuel stabilizer really necessary for 87 octane gas? My KJ has been sitting for two weeks at home in the driveway with a relatively full tank. I have left it for up to 3 weeks before without starting it up and each time it has been just fine, but is this something that would help the vehicle or prevent damage over the long run?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys in the know - is fuel stabilizer really necessary for 87 octane gas? My KJ has been sitting for two weeks at home in the driveway with a relatively full tank. I have left it for up to 3 weeks before without starting it up and each time it has been just fine, but is this something that would help the vehicle or prevent damage over the long run?

I've heard conflicting reports on fuel stabilizer. My family always uses it in our carbureted (sp?) Polaris quads and we think it makes enough of a difference. We leave them for months and then they typically start up quickly without too much trouble. I would use it, but that's just me.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep sits for weeks at a time and Ive never had any troubles with the gas. Its been sitting for around a week right now. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IMHO, no need for that length of time. 3-4 weeks no problem. Your octane will degrade over time. If you're concerned, fill it with midgrade or premium so as it degrades, you'll approach 87 again.

In my experience, don't use the stabilizer unless you really do need to store for a while. Maybe I mixed it wrong, but I've had it foul plugs on small engines.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, fuel stabilizer should not be necessary when parking your kj for 30 days. Fuel stabilizers are often recommended for things like watercraft and the like, some of which have two-stroke engines in them, and therefore they stabilize the oil/gas mixture-- and are parked or not run for eight or nine months a year.

Fun fact: My lawn mower runs on regular (unleaded) gas. Guess how long that gas sits the gas can in my shed during the winter? Never used a stabilizer. Ever. My mower starts a little rough the first time, but after that, starts on the first pull, everytime.

Oh, and it's also recommended that you keep the tank more than half full. This reduces the amount of air in the tank, which is the primary cause of problems which fuel stabilizers fix.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the full tank. I started to respond that leaving air space could result in condensation and corrosion of the tank, then I remembered that steel tanks are hardly, if ever, used anymore ;)

It's true on my 1968, the tank was nasty after sitting almost empty for 10 years.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and it's also recommended that you keep the tank more than half full. This reduces the amount of air in the tank, which is the primary cause of problems which fuel stabilizers fix.

Hmm. I'd never heard of that before, but especially in colder areas, it makes sense. I agree that 3 weeks is probably not long enough to justify it, but I'm pretty obsessive with my Jeep, so take my opinion with a grain of salt lol.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've stored my KJ for two 1 year periods,both times I prepared it.

1)Unhooked +/- battery cables
2)Removed serp belt
3)Inflated tires to max PSI,just in case any leaked
4)Placed on jack stands so the body weight was lifted off the suspension,wheels still on the ground
5)Shot some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder via the spark plug holes
6)Had full tank of premium gas with Stable Fuel stabilizer added
7)Wrapped my cone air filter with plastic to help prevent moisture getting into the intake
8)Sealed the exhaust pipe for same reason as #7
9)Sealed all breather tubes for same reason as #7

Both times after a few min of prep my KJ started right up and has been doing just fine.Also change the oil ASAP after a long storage like I did,even synthetic oil has a shelf life.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Now yes I'd take major preparations for one year like tjkj did, but a month, meh.

Now that I think about it, I've never had a vehicle sit for more than a week!

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here. this is the first time the kj will sit all alone for more than one or two days haha. heading out to jersey today and with gas over $4/gallon its a lot cheaper to fly so she will have to stay home this time