how hard is this to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garretttt4

Reaction score
I have a 04 liberty 3.7 and I was just driving down the highway yesterday and the car like stalled and ****** kinda and the check engine light came on. Got home and I ran the code and is said p2308. I read somewhere on here that that code means ignition coil. How dp I find out which one and how hard is it to fix?

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is just a simple ignition coil replacement. All you have to do is figure out which coil has failed (either by the code, by the misfire, or by swapping what you think is a bad coil with a known good coil), and then remove the coil (10mil bolt and it pops off the spark plug), and replace with a new one. Look through the site for one of the many spark plug change how to's to see exactly where the coils are. There are 3 on each cylinder bank running parallel to the fuel rails and have an electrical connecter connected to them.

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends, how bad is it running? Do you have a blinking check engine light? It is never good to run the vehicle while it is misfiring, however, if it is running reasonably, just don't beat on it and it will be okay. If it is seriously stumbling, hesitating, stalling, etc.. Do not drive it, as not only can the engine be damaged, but the catalytic converters can also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Without going out to the garage tonight and looking it up I think its number 3 if memory serves me right , switch coils around and see if that helps ( so rear cylinder on the left bank)
I do know back a few years ago Mopar/Jeep had a PCM update for P-2308. TSB 18-008-05

garretttt4

Reaction score
If it is just a simple ignition coil replacement. All you have to do is figure out which coil has failed (either by the code, by the misfire, or by swapping what you think is a bad coil with a known good coil), and then remove the coil (10mil bolt and it pops off the spark plug), and replace with a new one. Look through the site for one of the many spark plug change how to's to see exactly where the coils are. There are 3 on each cylinder bank running parallel to the fuel rails and have an electrical connecter connected to them.

Well its not running rough at all...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still would get it checked as soon as possible or at least switch the coils around to see if it changes

garretttt4

Reaction score
Without going out to the garage tonight and looking it up I think its number 3 if memory serves me right , switch coils around and see if that helps ( so rear cylinder on the left bank)
I do know back a few years ago Mopar/Jeep had a PCM update for P-2308. TSB 18-008-05

When you say left side you mean driver or passamger side?

garretttt4

Reaction score
Ok so this is weird as heck. My check engine light comes on sometimes and says the same code, but if you let it sit for a few hours, it shuts off. And it only kickes on if Im driving fast. And yesterday I was driving along at like 60 and it downshifted kinda hard and it popped up O/D OFF. I pulled over and shit it off and restarted it and the light went off and it drove fine the rest of the way...

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar situation. Found the offending coil, and just swapped it around to the next cylinder to see if problem cleared, which it did....sometimes just re-seating the plugs will clear issues.