How far can the average KJ go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I live in a small country, commute in a crowded city (thus, I get the absolute worst gas mileage) so I have to ask...

I'm planning on taking two 200-mile trips (to and from)...probably averaging 65MPH the on each trip. Can the average KJ make that trip in one full tank or is that risky?

At the most the round trip will add up to 385 miles or so. An average KJ should not have a problem going 19-20MPG, highway, right?

Please understand my paranoia...my trip meter reads 195-205 when I barely have a quarter tank left.

EDIT: I'm surfing the Web trying to determine the distance of my destination...so far it only looks like about 300-mile trip at most.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup' Eddie

I average around 16 MPG (which I'm pissed about, by the way), and have a 19.5 GAL tank. Just by the math I should go around 312 miles per tank...but I never get that low. I allways try to keep her around half full....or is it half empty...oh well.

You heading out for the four day w/e?? It'll suck to have to buy gas off post....1500 won per liter on the average !!!!!!!! thats over $5.00 a gal !!!!!
I dont know how Koreans can afford to drive?????

My advice; fill a couple of 5 gal gas cans and put them in the back and leave with a full tank...and you should be fine..

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I average 15.4mpg City. I usually wait until I hit 225 miles before I fill up. I hit the low gas light at 230+ (If I keep my driving habit the same). My gas tank holds 19.5 gallons and when I fill up I usually have 4.5-5 gallons left before empty.

$5.00 bucks a gallon!! Holy..... (banghead)

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Tony!

I'm planning on going to Mt. Seorak this holiday weekend. It'll probably rain, but what the heck? We're going to a water park. You have any plans?

I thought about the 5-gallon tank thing, too, but that'll be an 8-hour total drive with that gas smell inside the KJ...pretty queasy. I think it may be worth the extra $2 per gallon to not suffer that. Besides, I'll just get me enough to get me home, so it's only a gallon or two.

Plus, did you know it's illegal to carry those gas tanks around? Seriously! I don't know if it applies to us, though, but my Korean buddies tell me that.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say, you'd better spot the gas stations on your route, and don't just guess you can go too far on a KJ's full tank. 250 to 280 tops if you can keep your speed constant. I just remember the beads of sweat on my forehead when I kept reading 2 miles to empty on my EVIC..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That was on my 3.7L Libby. That's exactly how far I would have gone too...

Of course that's at 65MPH.

DJBassman

Reaction score
I live in colorado springs, colorado. I have 20.5 gal tank and the streets are hilly where I live. I have taken the KJ on some flat dirt trails in the mountains, dove with air on in the city, or just windows down. Had not had an opertunity to drive it on the freeway much to figure gas milage there. I get 17 m/g, with air, I get 16 m/g. I only leave it half full at any given time and my trip says I have gone on average 200 - 220 miles, about 100 a 1/4 tank.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I just did a 270 mile round trip yesterday in my KJ. A/C on the whole time, speeds averaged around 75-80mph and I got caught in gridlock for about 45 minutes...that was 45 minutes of crawling at best, but mainly sitting idle with the a/c on. I still averaged 21mpg round trip.

You should be able to make it just fine.

I've also done a 300 mile trip one way a couple of times (beach trips) and made it down there with between 1/4 and 1/8th a tank left. Not too bad if you ask me.

papercut

Reaction score
Like 2003KJ, I, too, have done 300-mile each-way trips easily, with 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank leftover.

2006 Renegade 3.7L engine, 20.5 gallon tank.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made several trips from where I live to las Vegas, that's 280 miles one way. Still had plenty of gas on arrival.
I also plan on a 1300 mile trip at the end of Sept.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruising 110 - 120 km/h (60 - 70 mph) I get 600 km on a full tank (360 miles).

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the road trip...

It wasn't that bad at all. I went 382.4 miles before the Empty light/tone went off...about 20MPG. I made it in one tank!

This was through stop and go traffic every 15-20 minutes at 45-50 MPH, up and down curvy roads in the mountains and hills.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You guys are pretty brave to actually fill up when that light comes on.

Sometimes I don't even wait for 1/4 tank if I'm on the highway. I'll fill up on a random stop to pee, lol. \:D/

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was only a few miles away from the gas station.

I filled the tank back up to full and it was about 18.5 gallons. I guess that means the empty light goes off when you only have about 2 gallons left...so you have some leeway to find the nearest gas station.

Lucky for you guys, stateside, you're able to find gas stations on every freeway exit. We have to find the next military base...or suffer paying over $6.00/gallon, locally! Like bohica-kj stated earlier...it's amazing how people here can afford to drive! Geez, that means Cherokee owners here pay $100+ to fill up their tanks!

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not talking to you marlon [-( O:)

Fouros mutters to him self

damm those crd's and the milage they get out of a tank of fuel

i am going to look for a box to kick around the backyard

dnm45227

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Just filled up my Libby CRD.

again, 396 Miles to Empty. This time, it's city, and not highway. \:D/

I feel ya! We just filled ours up yesterday and with mixed driving (mostly city though) got an average of 19.2 per gallon, according to the 'puter.

I love it, my wife used one less tank of gas this week! She even said that it was a busier week than usual too. If that rate holds, the fuel savings will almost make the payment.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive waited till my guage was pegged on E and still drove 15 miles. I only got 18 gallons in it. Stupid jeep. :-s