Few more recent oddities with the KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oblivionnewtonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. As some of you may have read on my other thread, I threw P871 back in May, got it cleared but kick down in 4th seems to be missing, I can floor it to pass traffic at 65-80 and it barely picks up speed. No stuttering, slipping etc. I changed the fluid and filter, no material in the pan. I left it almost a month with Mopar dealer, TCM code was up to date, transmission tech was way backed up and never spent much time with it so I retrieved it. They wanted to drop the pan and check for material, something I already did.

I suspect a solenoid pack or valve. Even with the TCM code verified up to date, new fluid, new u joints, I still have the rear end jerk when changing gears ever so often. Which leads me to believe a fluid path issue.

2. The Jeep died in the service bay when I dropped it off, has never done that, wild chance it would happen at the dealer. They got it jumped, had to be jumped when I retrieved it last week. Starts really slow, had the premium Interstate battery checked, low voltage. Slow charged it, didn't seem to take much in 24 hours according to the meter, never indicated full charge.

I drove it 600 miles round trip back home, no issues other than slow start. Today returning home, the battery light came on briefly, I barely caught it then it did not reappear until 150 more miles, right before home thankfully. I will take to the parts store, have the battery and alternator checked. Other than the usual suspects, is there any other component on the KJ that needs to be inspected that may cause such behavior?

3. I replaced all of the suspension last summer with Moog/Bilstein, in for a tire patch, Pepboys mentions 12 & 6 play on drivers side, checked UCA's, slightly loose, tightened to spec/blue Loc-Tite. They also mentioned steering rack bushings. I have inner tread wear, more so on passenger side. As I said, ball joints, bushings, links etc were all replaced. Can steering rack bushings contribute to inner wear?

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts, have you checked out the throttle position sensor? It may not be sending the kick down command. As far as tire wear I would not thing steering rack bushing would cause inside tire wear, I would suspect a tie rod or improper camber. My previous vehicle a Chevy Colorado has bad rack bushings, it literally moved almost half an inch either direction. Never saw any irregularities in tire wear over 30k miles only had less responsive steering.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes an alignment sounds like is in order.
I do one every year.
I pressed in new steering bushings and then did the alignment.

Tps can cause some weird stuff going on but often a shifting issue can also be a sticky solenoid or valve body issue.
It may help to use sea foam trans tune, a half bottle in witth the ATF+4

The battery, I wonder if shop left key on overnight.
A load test will confirm the state of charge.
Lead acid batteries often do not recover well after depletion.
They are not deep cycle and I would recommend a AGM battery if you need a new one.
If you still have warranty on the battery try to upgrade to an AGM.
What voltage are you seeing as far as output from your alternator ?