How do you remove the airbox in a 3.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to wash the airbox but I can't figure out yet how to remove it...

Could you help me? :p

Thanks in advance :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to wash it? You have officially beaten jeepjeepster in clean-freak-ness. :)
Oh wait, he actually disconnected his rear axle to wash it (and while at it, he painted it).

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
take the air box lid of like you're going to change the filter
remove the filter
there will be a couple of screws in the bottom of the box connecting it to the top of the fender-well remove these screws and it should come right out.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy man! :)

The thing is the Jeep was doing scuba last winter flooding and the airbox is full of dirt, leaves, small branches and I'm frankly tired of removing them manually...

I would like to simply take it off and hose it :D

Cheers!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to wash it? You have officially beaten jeepjeepster in clean-freak-ness. :)
Oh wait, he actually disconnected his rear axle to wash it (and while at it, he painted it).

Are you kidding?! I took that thing out along time ago so I could wash it and wash the paint UNDER the air box. Cmon now, dont underestimate me! :D

Once you have the air hose and the lid off it just pulls straight up. May need to give it a good tug. There are no screws.

Last edited:

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I haven't pulled hard enough... mostly b/c I wasn't sure if I was doing it right ;)

[foreign warrior voice mode on] Now... prepare yourself airbox... your days of "dirtyness" are over![foreign warrior voice mode off]

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in the base of the air cleaner there are drain holes. You shouldn't need to remove it to clean it just remove the element & air hose.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember to remote the sponge bob, if it is still in your box.

Sherm2470

Reaction score
Nope all KJ's '02-'07,well at least all with the 3.7 V-6,have no screws holding the airbox in.The airbox just has 3 rubber plugs that hold it in,yank real hard upward and it will come out.

Do you know if the 2008 jeep liberty's are the same?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The airbox just pulls up as mentioned off the rubber grommets.
Just remember to remove the pcv hose off the side, I heat it with hairdryer first.
The first time I removed (lifted upwards on the airbox) it was like welded in there.
I put a dab of dish soap on the grommets, now easy to remove!
I clean the airbox every time I change the filter and dont forget Mr Sponge Bob!
He eventually needs a bath to free the sticky oils too!
49574[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepAirBoxMrSpongeBob.jpg
    JeepAirBoxMrSpongeBob.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it hasn't been removed in a long time those grommets will fight you every step of the way and it will probably feel like you're going to rip the air box off but it will come out