How do I turn off all the ESP stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well even if you turn "ESP off" it's only gona be partly off. No matter what you do the traction control limited slip will always be on. Thats what is doing the braking and is causing that.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that's the one you pull.

I dunno man, I hit bumps and stuff with it on, and I can feel the brakes engage to stop the wheel spin ( I need new struts and shocks, and my tires are at 52Lbs), I LOSE traction. When I hit the button on the column, it doesn't do that anymore, so there has to be something else, for actual TRACTION control? All my pet peeves with the system are elevated when I turn that off on the column.

Check your PM, I got something there for you to look at.
i checked it, tried it, had problems, check your pm

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well even if you turn "ESP off" it's only gona be partly off. No matter what you do the traction control limited slip will always be on. Thats what is doing the braking and is causing that.

True. It's desensitized.

As previously said, the only way to completely get rid of it without removing the entire system (which isn't possible) is to either 1. Wire up a switch for the ABS Pump (it all goes through the brake system) power wires, or 2, yank the ABS Pump fuse, then as previously said... remove the lights from the instrument cluster so it won't visually bother you anymore.

Problem solved. :)

asuwins

Reaction score
Down Hill Assist

also, i hear the newer ones have downhill assist that you can use in 4low. sounds intriguing when it was explained to me

I have down hill assist on my 2009 Liberty Sport. It only works in 4 LO and you have to activate it. It prevents you from having to use the brake and uses the transmission and engine to keep speed under control. I have only used it a couple of times and I'm not so sure I really like it especially in rutted or rockey roads with a lot of bounce. I'll need to play with it more before I decide if I like it or not.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that's the one you pull.

I dunno man, I hit bumps and stuff with it on, and I can feel the brakes engage to stop the wheel spin ( I need new struts and shocks, and my tires are at 52Lbs), I LOSE traction. When I hit the button on the column, it doesn't do that anymore, so there has to be something else, for actual TRACTION control? All my pet peeves with the system are elevated when I turn that off on the column.

Check your PM, I got something there for you to look at.

Why on God's green earth would you run 52 psi in A: a tire that maxes at 44psi, and B: on a stock vehicle?

Guaranteeing that's 95% of your problem there. Drop the pressure to something more realistic.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't want it off permenantly, just long enough to get up a muddy or snowy hill. thinking i might wire a toggle switch in in the line of the abs fuse if i can. then when i see something sloppy or steep, i can just flick the switch and go play

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Agreed. I understand the concept and can mess with them and get them going, but carbs are a pain. I hate tuning the twin SU's I have on my '68.

Twin SU's on what???
I bought a carb synchronizer in the UK which works pretty good.
That and a mechanics stethoscope.
http://www.empius.com/2009_catalog/empi2009_pg100.html
(Bottom of page)
Your right though, SU's can be a real pain to tune!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back on topic
how about this
the TC is trying to limit wheel spin
wheel spin is due to a loss of traction
traction loss is bad no matter what you are doing
if you are loosing traction then you have the wrong tires for your situation
2 choices now
A) dont go there any more ,stay out of the mud and off of the hills
or
B) GET BETTER TIRES ,considering that you are playing in mud how about getting tires designed for mud?
just a thought

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why on God's green earth would you run 52 psi in A: a tire that maxes at 44psi, and B: on a stock vehicle?

Guaranteeing that's 95% of your problem there. Drop the pressure to something more realistic.

Some people like to run crazy high pressures in their tires for unknown reasons. Ive yet to figure out why. :confused:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin SU's on what???
I bought a carb synchronizer in the UK which works pretty good.
That and a mechanics stethoscope.
http://www.empius.com/2009_catalog/empi2009_pg100.html
(Bottom of page)
Your right though, SU's can be a real pain to tune!

I have a '68 Sprite Ryan.

I have the unisync...still a pita. I am thinking of going nuts in a couple of years and setting up a megasquirt EFI on it.

It's been laid up for two years now. Last year, ripped the rear suspension out and then life got in the way. Got it buttoned back up and this year I though I'd do a quick refresh on the front (very worn). Well, I ordered new kingpins in May and they just came in at the very end of Sept! So, that shot this summer as it's been on jackstands with no front suspension since April!

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even with mud tires, the places i go, i need to spin the mud out of the lugs to clear the tread for more traction. a mud tire full of clay that you can't throw out is pretty much the same as a street tire full of clay, just round and smooth. get the tire spinning, and the mud comes out, allowing you to take more bites at the mud. also, sometimes i need velocity to keep my momenton up running through this mud, if it's applying brakes, i'm losing velocity and wheel speed... i should just put arb air lockers in both ends, but that is a lot of money, gonna try unplugging for those situations. and see how that works, but i don't have to for about 6 months or so... everything is frozen here now, and by then i will have the mud tires i'm after

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used to run high tire pressure in my pizza delivery cars... less wobbly in high speed corners, and less likely to pinch a tire between curb and wheel when i came skidding to a stop on someone's sidewalk... also it landed better when i was jumping intersections from the dips in the streets... and, i got an extra mpg at higher pressures.... hear that engine screaming... see your pizza guy catch about 6 inches of air crossing the street... e-brake slide into a parking space in front of your house.... lol... i am being facetious here... i never let the customer see what i did to get there fast

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even with mud tires, the places i go, i need to spin the mud out of the lugs to clear the tread for more traction. a mud tire full of clay that you can't throw out is pretty much the same as a street tire full of clay, just round and smooth. get the tire spinning, and the mud comes out, allowing you to take more bites at the mud. also, sometimes i need velocity to keep my momenton up running through this mud, if it's applying brakes, i'm losing velocity and wheel speed... i should just put arb air lockers in both ends, but that is a lot of money, gonna try unplugging for those situations. and see how that works, but i don't have to for about 6 months or so... everything is frozen here now, and by then i will have the mud tires i'm after

haha
dont make me laugh
you are from where? and you are going to tell me about mud?
note I am from South Louisiana and while I HATE mud we can not wheel with out it being there
That being said if you think that any MT can not VERY EASILY beat out any street tire in the mud you are sadly mistaken
now also going with your reasoning that you NEED wheel speed and the TC is preventing it what would lockers do for you?
as soon as the tires start to spin the TC will figure out that they are spinning and apply the breaks ,I know that in my old Ranger that had ABS but not TC
I would get the tires spinning then go to slow down and the ABS would go nuts ,oh and it had a Detroit in the rear and a TT up front

Now as far as running fully locked in the mud
bad idea ,you can not steer
in my TJ I have a Detroit rear and an ARB front and trust me if I have the ARB on I am going strait no matter what way I turn my wheels
so 1 wheel must turn faster than the other to steer
heck with out spinning a little the Detroit will push me strait
your problem is that you have almost ZERO traction with the street tires
so the TC is trying to slow it down
but you also have the advantage of TC in that you do not need to have any lockers but just TT's front and rear
you see when 1 tire starts to spin the TC kicks in and breaks that tire
sending more power to the other wheel
which works ok with open diffs and under the right conditions will pull you along on 2 wheels ,1 driver and 1 passenger, in fact I wish I had the video of our demonstration of how the ESP/TC works on the near $40K CRD WK
that in bone stock form walked where a TJ with a lift and 33's could not go
now it was built to show off on but still TC works
but with TT's you would have no need for lockers and the TC would be happy
your wallet would be happy and the Jeep would go better
add some tires and you are done ,some what

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Daddy, I will change the tire pressure; NOT.

dude you do know how dumb this is right?
you are over inflating your tires
this is causing a loss of traction
now we can clearly see that you dont care but some of us do
see I have a wife and kid and the thought that some one is this dumb sickens me
I know that I would be ENRAGED if I found out that some one rear ended my wife because the lost traction because they were a dumb a$$ and ran 50+ psi in the tires under a vehicle that required 35 psi at best
so if you dont care then fine drive off a bridge I know I will not miss you
but for the safety of the rest of the drivers on the road
:mad::mad:RUN THE PROPER PSI IN YOUR TIRES:mad::mad::mad::mad:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha
dont make me laugh
you are from where? and you are going to tell me about mud?
you see when 1 tire starts to spin the TC kicks in and breaks that tire
sending more power to the other wheel
which works ok with open diffs and under the right conditions will pull you along on 2 wheels ,1 driver and 1 passenger, in fact I wish I had the video of our demonstration of how the ESP/TC works on the near $40K CRD WK
that in bone stock form walked where a TJ with a lift and 33's could not go
now it was built to show off on but still TC works
but with TT's you would have no need for lockers and the TC would be happy
your wallet would be happy and the Jeep would go better
add some tires and you are done ,some what

well... where to start... oh yeah, you are proud of your state, and you think your mud is better than everyone elses mud... we wheel different... I enjoy mud on my roof and windows sometimes. I am not going to sit here and try to compare mud with you. what i am saying is... I have had 34" swampers burried in mud here, no tire visible. my wheel spin got me burried yes, but this stuff was also bottomless, TC wouldn't have helped, cuz the rig sunk, at least it was tall enough to keep the chassis from being totally mired down in it. I have had those tires packed with clay, and street tires packed with clay. a nice shot on the throttle, no clay... can steer and get traction again...

I didn't say i wanted to run fully locked... i am aware of steering issues... I bet we have a lot more snow than you do, our 4x4 club loves to play in it, some of them are fully locked. I said ARB air lockers... you know, the kind you can disengage and go back to being an open dif... you did know that right? and if i did have both axles locked... solid, like the ARBs would do... If one wheel spins, it stands to reason that all 4 would spin, correct? if all 4 spun, the TC wouldn't know I wasn't moving, as it uses wheel speed to sense this, not RADAR. So, the result would be mud or snow flying all over the place... and a big grin on my face.

Now, I am gonna say it easy... I was in an uphill situation, tires broke loose, brake applied. momentum went away, I was trying to steer the jeep away from a tree, and apply throttle to get the tires to dig in. hit throttle, rev limiter, brake action... no wheel speed, the wheel slowed down, the rig slowed down. i came to a stop in mud I should have been able to power through, and have powered through with similar tires on similar sized vehicle without TC. Yeah, I could have slowed down instead of tried to speed up, but when you are going about 3-5 mph in mud uphill, any slower may result in going backwards.

This system is great for everything else I have encountered. This vehicle and it's systems were not designed for much beyond being a soccer dad, who has to go the mall, and maybe head up to the ski resort. It does what it was designed to do. I am asking it to go beyond it's limits. It will get a locker in the rear. if it's locked, and i get one tire on ice, that tire won't spin faster than the other, so the brake won't engage, so, the locker will in effect be helping out. and might prolong the life of my brakes right? probably not by much

Tires are in the future... but so is the lift, and the locker too... and, then come up here and show me how to drive in the snow... lol... bring some of your mud with you too!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well... where to start... oh yeah, you are proud of your state, and you think your mud is better than everyone elses mud... we wheel different... I enjoy mud on my roof and windows sometimes. I am not going to sit here and try to compare mud with you. what i am saying is... I have had 34" swampers burried in mud here, no tire visible. my wheel spin got me burried yes, but this stuff was also bottomless, TC wouldn't have helped, cuz the rig sunk, at least it was tall enough to keep the chassis from being totally mired down in it. I have had those tires packed with clay, and street tires packed with clay. a nice shot on the throttle, no clay... can steer and get traction again...

I didn't say i wanted to run fully locked... i am aware of steering issues... I bet we have a lot more snow than you do, our 4x4 club loves to play in it, some of them are fully locked. I said ARB air lockers... you know, the kind you can disengage and go back to being an open dif... you did know that right? and if i did have both axles locked... solid, like the ARBs would do... If one wheel spins, it stands to reason that all 4 would spin, correct? if all 4 spun, the TC wouldn't know I wasn't moving, as it uses wheel speed to sense this, not RADAR. So, the result would be mud or snow flying all over the place... and a big grin on my face.

Now, I am gonna say it easy... I was in an uphill situation, tires broke loose, brake applied. momentum went away, I was trying to steer the jeep away from a tree, and apply throttle to get the tires to dig in. hit throttle, rev limiter, brake action... no wheel speed, the wheel slowed down, the rig slowed down. i came to a stop in mud I should have been able to power through, and have powered through with similar tires on similar sized vehicle without TC. Yeah, I could have slowed down instead of tried to speed up, but when you are going about 3-5 mph in mud uphill, any slower may result in going backwards.

This system is great for everything else I have encountered. This vehicle and it's systems were not designed for much beyond being a soccer dad, who has to go the mall, and maybe head up to the ski resort. It does what it was designed to do. I am asking it to go beyond it's limits. It will get a locker in the rear. if it's locked, and i get one tire on ice, that tire won't spin faster than the other, so the brake won't engage, so, the locker will in effect be helping out. and might prolong the life of my brakes right? probably not by much

Tires are in the future... but so is the lift, and the locker too... and, then come up here and show me how to drive in the snow... lol... bring some of your mud with you too!

I will keep it short
lockers ,front and rear, will help keep all tires going the same speed but will negate turning in mu
thus ARB's are out and TT's are the better choice for mud
I hate mud so I dont care what you run in it I will not go in it

How to go up hill ,a lesson
start at bottom with a good forward motion as you go up hill press the gas to keep steady rpm but not more than 3000
if you start to spin "saw the wheel side to side"
if you loose all forward movement stop
hold break and take a strap because this hill is probably to much for your rig
has worked for me and 99% of the time I make the hill

so you are getting a locker for the rear now?
ok so the front is going to still get "1 wheel peel"
and the TC is still going to break on the wheel that is spinning
thus back at square 1

read what I said
first tires
the TT's front and rear
or lockers front and rear
but locked rear and open front is not going to be much better
than what you have now

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Daddy, I will change the tire pressure; NOT.

K dude. If you're not willing to experiment with pressure, rather than wear out your tires prematurely so you can eke out an extra .2 mpg...

And lose traction THE EXACT WAY YOU'RE DESCRIBING...

We'll just leave it at that.

And also, like JT said in a previous post...If you hit my mom, gramma, girlfriend, dog, because of lost traction due to overinflated tires, and ThunderbirdJunkie checked your air pressures (and you can damn well bet he would), you would become a grease spot on the pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.