How do I turn off all the ESP stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I went wheeling last weekend, i got into some mud, going up hill, the front right brake kept applying... or something, it sounded a lot like broken bearings at first, and jeep would not spin up the tires good. yes, i did push the button on top of the column to turn it off. i started in 4hi, wound up in 4lo. it was still limiting my revs and applying that brake or something. once i got out onto level ground i floored it and everything seemed fine. there was another time i can think of when i was going up a steep hill that i didn't want to back down, i was in 4lo, (esp is supposed to be off in lo) the right front tire started slipping and braking, and i started flooring it, and it wouldn't rev up, it would only keep going at slow pace i was at, no rpm build. what the hell is going on? i want to throw mud out of my tread some times too, how do i remedy this problem?

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When ever I turn it off fro above the column it goes off. But then again, I have never been off roading with it. I just turn it off in the rain sometimes because my crappy Goodyears would spin and then the Jeep would bog while the ESP kicked in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone gets ESP and traction control confused. They are two different things that use the same system to function. Esp IS turned off in 4low but traction control is still on, which is what you were having issues with. Traction is great until you get in situations where you need to keep the tires spinning, IE, mud and possibly snow.

Take out the ABS fuse to turn it all off, just be ready for a light show of warning lights. :)

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
1. invent time machine
2, travel back to before such electroninc nannies were standard
3. purchase KJ

My '05 is even ABS-less. I swear that soon kids will not know how to drive without same computer doing 2/3's of it for them.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, no ABS here either.

Drum brakes even!

Low tech machine of God!

But anyway, best way to do it would be to crawl underneath the front end, and unplug one of the ABS wheel speed sensors. Then it will be off PERMANENTLY.

Then disassemble the instrument cluster and remove ABS, ESP, TCS, ETC light bulbs and mail them to ThunderbirdJunkie.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only safety crap on mine is air bags and seat belts!!! And I like it this way!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I have the button on the column as well, and it turns off for ESP, and traction. With it ON, I can't spin the tires when I stomp the gas, With it off, I can spin tire.

When I make a bend too fast, the brakes kick on to slow me down correctly. When I press the button on the column to turn the system off, it doesn't do that.

When I am driving, and the system thinks I am skidding, I dunno, for some reason when I put weight in the back, it malfunctions. I went shopping last weekend, bought 375.00 of stuff, put it in the back, and had two passengers, one front, one back. When I get on the highway, the brakes start kicking in, so I turn the thing off. Then it BEEPS and errors out, then resets when I slow down, then errors again. Each time it resets, I have to turn it OFF, so the brakes stop applying. Then? Once I remove all the weight, it's fine... Went to work all week, just me in it, no problems...

SO, turn off the thing with your button on the steering column, the skid warning light will come on solid, meaning it's off. Best you can do is try that... I can spin tire, and make bends fast with it off.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, no ABS here either.

Drum brakes even!

Low tech machine of God!

But anyway, best way to do it would be to crawl underneath the front end, and unplug one of the ABS wheel speed sensors. Then it will be off PERMANENTLY.

Then disassemble the instrument cluster and remove ABS, ESP, TCS, ETC light bulbs and mail them to ThunderbirdJunkie.

Low tech my azz,I had to internet to start figuring out check eng lights,coil pacs,etc. 76 IHC? Yeah that is low tech.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It's not like it's hard to work on.

76 Scout II?

Hello, carburetor. You're going to a professional!
Points, condensors, and plug wires...no thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

76 Scout II?

Getting old ain't ya?:D

I'll take the old school Holley double pump over FI on the street anyday but sadly FI is much better for offroading and can be very complex,even in the simplest form unless you have the correct tools to diagnose and fix it.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO, turn off the thing with your button on the steering column, the skid warning light will come on solid, meaning it's off. Best you can do is try that... I can spin tire, and make bends fast with it off.

as i said, i did use the button, it is the traction control i am sure.

so, it is the ABS fuse i gotta pull?

i just want it to go better in the mud, and snow when i am playing. i can pop the fuse back in for pavement driving

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, i hear the newer ones have downhill assist that you can use in 4low. sounds intriguing when it was explained to me

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

76 Scout II?

Hate carbs? Doesnt take too long to learn how to adjust them. I can understand 4bbl being complicated though. Only carbs Ive worked with is a 2bbl Rochester, pretty darn simple.

Our boat has dual chevy 5.0's with carbs. I love working on those engines, so simple and easy to tune and do maintance on. We can spend $400 and replace just about everything on the engine as far as rebuilding the carb, cap, wires, plugs, coil, fuel pump, tstat, etc. No points and all that crap, electronic ignition is the way to go.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie never said he didn't UNDERSTAND carbs...he just doesn't care to learn enough to get them right. It will go far quicker going to somebody that knows what they're doing. Did the same with both CJ's, his Accord, the Mustang, etc etc etc

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie never said he didn't UNDERSTAND carbs...he just doesn't care to learn enough to get them right. It will go far quicker going to somebody that knows what they're doing. Did the same with both CJ's, his Accord, the Mustang, etc etc etc

Agreed. I understand the concept and can mess with them and get them going, but carbs are a pain. I hate tuning the twin SU's I have on my '68.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
as i said, i did use the button, it is the traction control i am sure.

so, it is the ABS fuse i gotta pull?

I believe that's the one you pull.

I dunno man, I hit bumps and stuff with it on, and I can feel the brakes engage to stop the wheel spin ( I need new struts and shocks, and my tires are at 52Lbs), I LOSE traction. When I hit the button on the column, it doesn't do that anymore, so there has to be something else, for actual TRACTION control? All my pet peeves with the system are elevated when I turn that off on the column.

Check your PM, I got something there for you to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online