How Can I tell whether or not I have the HD towing package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fango925

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the fan clutch and everything that comes with the HD towing package. I've heard that I can't pull the full limit of 5k without this and I should really limit my weight. What's true and whats not? I don't normally pull more than 2k but I'd like to know just in case!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have the fan clutch and everything that comes with the HD towing package. I've heard that I can't pull the full limit of 5k without this and I should really limit my weight. What's true and whats not? I don't normally pull more than 2k but I'd like to know just in case!

I want to ask if you've ever had the hood up and looked at the engine but that would be a smart *** question.
But look under the hood, if you have the tow package you'd have both a electrical fan and a mechanical one. OR you could send in to Jeep and get a build sheet. I've pulled more that 2000 lbs but don't have the tow package but know what to do.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont drive like a dink without the tow package you'll be fine for 3-3500 no worrie... i tow a 20 ft boat with mine. no hd package.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, Tom's right. If you have a mechanical engine-driven fan on the engine (there will be an electric fan in front of the mechanical one), then you have the HD Tow Package. Which means you also get the power steering cooler and heavy duty transmission cooler as well as a factory hitch and wiring.

All non-tow package Liberties just have the electric fan, no mechanical one.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again, Tom's right. If you have a mechanical engine-driven fan on the engine (there will be an electric fan in front of the mechanical one), then you have the HD Tow Package. Which means you also get the power steering cooler and heavy duty transmission cooler as well as a factory hitch and wiring.

All non-tow package Liberties just have the electric fan, no mechanical one.

Have to be careful about this. Most KJ's came with the power steering cooler and a trans cooler even if they didn't have the tow package and HD cooling system from the factory. The only difference most of the time - and there are some oddballs out there - between the standard cooling package and the HD cooling is the mechanical fan. There are KJ's that even have the HD shroud but no mechanical fan - and it came that way from the factory. Mopar used to sell an HD cooling kit that included the fan shroud, the electric fan (replaces the non-HD electric fan), the mechanical clutch, and the mechanical fan. No other components were needed to upgrade the Liberty to HD cooling besides those in the HD kit.

If you look behind the grill of your KJ there will be a vertical cooler on the left side of the radiator (right if you're looking from the front) that's the power steering cooler, and what looks like two coolers in front of the radiator that are more horizontal. If the KJ has A/C then one of the horizontal ones is the A/C condenser and the other is the external ****** cooler. The ****** cooler is lower and sits in front of the condenser and radiator. The 2002 KJ's and some 2003's have the 45RFE trans and have the in-radiator trans cooler and not the external cooler. So there isn't an HD transmission cooler - they're all the same.

Besides the cooling system upgrade the other components of the tow package are the hitch (Doh!) and a 7-pin round trailer harness connector.

Confusing eh? :shrug:

Bob

Last edited:

mk_v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Does your fan look like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk