How can I improve my 2wd Liberty’s off road ability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody I’m just wondering what can I do to make my 2wd Liberty better capable off road?

First off let me say that I can’t afford to make it a 4wd and I don’t want to trade it in either. It runs really good.

I’ve gone off roading in the fields around my house many times and haven’t gotten stuck yet. But I still wana make it better so I don’t have to worry about it getting stuck at all.

So what can I do? Lift? What Else?

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup lift so you can fit some nice and gives you some more clearence, remove rear sway bar,...then a locker, I haven't heard but good things about the aussie for the 8.25.....and maybe a winch :D just in case you get stuck :D

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
4.30-4.56 gear,locker,lift. Think pre-runner,believe it would be alot of fun.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truth hurts so ,sorry
2wd is not made for offroading
you can lock it and that will help a little
the problem is that your front end ,the heavey end
is not pulling it's weight and under slick conditions will
cause you to " plow" ,the tires will dig in and act like anchors

truth
you want to go off road then get a 4x4
you don't want to sell your 2wd then don't go off road

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the locker rear end, and a good set of more aggressive tires for the rear end too.

You'll be surprised where you can go, just don't go crazy.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
The truth hurts so ,sorry
2wd is not made for offroading
you can lock it and that will help a little
the problem is that your front end ,the heavey end
is not pulling it's weight and under slick conditions will
cause you to " plow" ,the tires will dig in and act like anchors

truth
you want to go off road then get a 4x4
you don't want to sell your 2wd then don't go off road

this might be an old post but i hate for somebody to act that you cant off road just bc they dont have a 4wd. well buddy i think that if jeep makes it then its a jeep buddy but however i have a 2wd and love it so ppl that thinks this way dont have an open mind and correct me if im wrong but like wasnt some of the first jeeps 2wd? just my .2

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the best thing to make your Jeep more off road capable is driver skill. Know what will get you stuck, how to work the peddles to get over obstacles and when to back off so the rig will get you home. As long as you wheel smart that 2WD Jeep will take you places you never realized.

When you say fields, do you mean farmers fields like with corn? Driving through that will get you in all kinds of trouble, LOL.

Mud is going to be your worst enemy so before going in know the depth and how slick it is.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this might be an old post but i hate for somebody to act that you cant off road just bc they dont have a 4wd. well buddy i think that if jeep makes it then its a jeep buddy but however i have a 2wd and love it so ppl that thinks this way dont have an open mind and correct me if im wrong but like wasnt some of the first jeeps 2wd? just my .2

X2

althou I won't mess with mud

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
It really is. I was standing on mud and poking it with a stick and it wasn't budging so I thought it was alright to drive through....Boy was I wrong....
You must be registered for see images attach

Thats how I bent my tow hooks.

lol thats funny. i dont think that i would've walked across it Wow1.gif

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
lol you couldnt back out of it and what kind of tires did you have running?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

First Jeep wasn't 2wd....that wouldn't of cut it in WWII. But yes, after WWII, Willys did make the Jeepster, all were 2wd. In the station wagon, 4wd wasn't available till 51. The Willys truck was always available in 4wd.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
k well HJ do you think a 2wd has the right to off road or do you think that a 2wd jeep isnt a jeep. j/w

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm fine if a 2wd wants to follow me...but at least let me lead... :D

Now...don't show up in some lowered, Autozoned out thing....4x4 or not...I'll be leaving...