Hmm...interesting problem here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Well I have an interesting set of dilemmas and I wanted to see if the two may be related. On my way down to Georgia about a month and a half ago, my odometer and speedometer stopped working just rather randomly...the speedometer needed jumped a little while it struggled for life, but eventually fell flat to 0. I got this problem fixed that day at a Jeep dealership ($300, $60 for parts and rest was labor). Interestingly enough, about a week ago, this same problem reoccurred, however, being that I live in Ohio, I can't just go to Atlanta and complain...will a Jeep dealership here in Ohio warrantee the service done by another Jeep dealership? I guess the problem was something with the 2-way wiring, and some parts had to be replaced, but after a quick inspection under the car, I did not see anything out of the ordinary. Also, with this problem came some distortion in my JVC headunit (coincidence or not, I don't know), I have speakers that are fully capable of handling even the headunits peak power with ample room to spare (speakers are 55w rms, 90w peak, headunit is 22w rms, 52w peak), but now when I turn my headunit up to a certain point and above (usually about 27+ on the headunit's 50 point volume control), I get horrible sound quality, lyrics are extremely distorted and barely recognizeable once a certain level is reached. Are these two problems possibly related? If it turns out that this jeep dealership will honor some kind of service warranty, will this take care of my speaker problems, or is there now something wrong with the headunit as well? I appreciate any thoughts on the matter! Again, I don't think it could be the speakers because all 4 door speakers and the stock in-dash speakers become distorted at high volume, but sound perfect below.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've heard of several 2002's having faulty BCM's or Body Control Modules. When they go out (no warning) you'll have no speedo, no tach, no inside lights, no horn, etc etc....pretty much all electronics go out, but the engine still runs fine. Might have them take a look at that.

joshy0077

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I've heard of several 2002's having faulty BCM's or Body Control Modules. When they go out (no warning) you'll have no speedo, no tach, no inside lights, no horn, etc etc....pretty much all electronics go out, but the engine still runs fine. Might have them take a look at that.

Well so far only the speedometer and the odometer are not functioning...everything else seems to working just fine and I did receive a check engine light...but is it probable that the Jeep Dealership I go to here in Ohio will fix the problem for free being that it's the same as before?

dnm45227

Reaction score
Don't want to hi-jack your thread, but a guy at work says his '02's speedo and tach flutter up and down too. So far it hasn't happened to either of our KJ's.

2003KJ

Reaction score
joshy0077 said:
2003KJ said:

Well so far only the speedometer and the odometer are not functioning...everything else seems to working just fine and I did receive a check engine light...but is it probable that the Jeep Dealership I go to here in Ohio will fix the problem for free being that it's the same as before?

Its possible. If you explain the situation to them, being that you were out of town and ran into a problem and didn't have another option, I don't see why they wouldn't. Its not like you went to some local mechanic out in the middle of no where. Do you have any of your service records from the work done? If not they might be able to call the dealership down there if you remember the name and see if they can pull up some records.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reference to the speaker distortion... did it work fine before your spedometer problem? If so, that is interesting, indeed. I would have guessed your HU is not feeding your speakers enough power to keep it from distorting. :-k

joshy0077

Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
In reference to the speaker distortion... did it work fine before your spedometer problem? If so, that is interesting, indeed. I would have guessed your HU is not feeding your speakers enough power to keep it from distorting. :-k

Actually yes, my speakers and headunit worked flawlessly prior to this speedometer and odometer problem, and now, as I said, I have a ton of distortion. I don't know how the two could be related, but again, I don't imagine my speakers being blown out by a headunit that only provides about half of the RMS rating that the speakers can handle continuously. Maybe there is some underlying electrical problems that are accompanying the speedo and odo problem? I am curious if anyone else has had the car problem I have had, and if so, if they fixed it themselves or went through the dealer. I have the receipt from the dealer in GA, however, it is rather vague as to the parts replaced (basically states repair to the 2way wiring and connector), however, I don't have any clue where this would be located on my Jeep.

I appreciate all the responses!