Hitch Receiver ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a receiver for a bicycle rack and from what I have read here the drawtite seems to be the favorite due to it's longer neck, my question is the longer neck a shin buster when the tailgate is open, additionally what is a recommended on line vendor

Thanks
Bob

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Draw-tite

I ordered a Draw-tite receiver and aftermarket wiring from Etrailer.com and was quite happy with the experience. I put up a few pics of the receiver on cardomain for you to check it out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/855554

I doesn't really stick out that far but with the spare tire above it any extra length is a bonus. Haven't bumped it yet with my shin.

Anyways the breakdown from etrailer was as follows:

75128 Hitch Receiver $131.57
18382 T-One Wiring Harness $32.70
Shipping UPS $15.64

I ordered it late Monday night, they shipped from their Missouri warehouse on Tuesday, and I got it on Thursday. Very quick.

Anyways, with my package I received a "Platinum Club Card" which has a discount code on it for a 5% discount. If you decide to use etrailer try this code and you may get the 5% off which I didn't get to use: XJJB7. It's just a business card with the code on it so you and anyone else feel free to use it, hey 5% is at least a free beer! I would think this code can be used by anyone until the expiration date on it of 12/31.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Draw-tite

Amarony said:
I ordered a Draw-tite receiver and aftermarket wiring from Etrailer.com and was quite happy with the experience. I put up a few pics of the receiver on cardomain for you to check it out.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/855554

I doesn't really stick out that far but with the spare tire above it any extra length is a bonus. Haven't bumped it yet with my shin.

Anyways the breakdown from etrailer was as follows:

75128 Hitch Receiver $131.57
18382 T-One Wiring Harness $32.70
Shipping UPS $15.64

I ordered it late Monday night, they shipped from their Missouri warehouse on Tuesday, and I got it on Thursday. Very quick.

Anyways, with my package I received a "Platinum Club Card" which has a discount code on it for a 5% discount. If you decide to use etrailer try this code and you may get the 5% off which I didn't get to use: XJJB7. It's just a business card with the code on it so you and anyone else feel free to use it, hey 5% is at least a free beer! I would think this code can be used by anyone until the expiration date on it of 12/31.

Looks like the code still works. I just ordered the hitch and wire harness and entered the code, saved me $9.18. Total was $175.46

Thanks

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recieved my hitch

I recieved my hitch today, goin to install in within the next week. Any tips on installing it??

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Recieved my hitch

squirrellydw said:
I recieved my hitch today, goin to install in within the next week. Any tips on installing it??

1). Make sure you have an 18mm socket and a long breaker bar, as well as an extension (6-10 inches will do). 18mm isn't a standard kit size usually, but sears carries it individually.
2). If it uses 3 bolts on each side, you'll need to be creative to get the right front bolt in, as it's obscured by the exhaust pipe. I put it up on a jackstand and took the right rear wheel off and went in with an open-ended wrench (also 18mm)
3). If you have a gas tank skid, It helps if you have a hydraulic floor jack or another person to help hold it up while you put the hitch receiver on, that thing is heavy!

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no skid

Well I don't have any skid plates and I haven't looked at it yet to see how many bolts. I am guessing 3 on each side though. Any other hints for the bolt by the exhaust

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: no skid

squirrellydw said:
Well I don't have any skid plates and I haven't looked at it yet to see how many bolts. I am guessing 3 on each side though. Any other hints for the bolt by the exhaust
An short extenion and a universal (swivel) adapter for the socket.

Bob

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woohoo

Well I got it installed without any problems. Took about 30 minutes to install the hitch and 15 to install the wiring. Now I just need to buy my trailer. Any one wanna make a donation $$$ :)

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: no skid

Gentleman said:
squirrellydw said:
An short extenion and a universal (swivel) adapter for the socket.

Bob

I heard besides the wiring harness you also need some sort of power converter. Is this true? Thanks.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're towing. Check the how-to section, theres a nice writeup in there.

-Blu

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you do need a special converter since the Liberty uses seperate brake and turn signal lamps and most trailers use the dual element lamp. Don't know exactly what it is or where it installs though. I think if you order the factory wiring harness it is pre-installed though.