Hitch Cargo Bag/Box Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just got back to SA from 2 weeks in NC back on Friday. The reason for the trip was not pleasant - my 73 year old father's long history of health problems finally took their ultimate toll, and he passed away on Aug 12th.

Day after the funeral, the mail carrier delivered a recall letter from the Freightliner Cleveland NC plant, offering my previous job back that I got laid off from 2 1/2 years ago. This would give me the opportunity to be back in NC to help my mother settle all the affairs over the next few month's from my father's passing, and reoccupy my adjacent land and house that's already paid for - plus, my present job here in SA was going away on Oct 1st anyway, and I'll be starting back at Freightliner with my previous seniority and pay.

Passing strange, I'd given HR my address here in SA back in June, but the letter ended up being addressed to my parent's house in NC. Sounds like someone upstairs knew where that letter needed to go.

So, here over the next couple weeks I'll be packing up and heading back to NC. Fortunately, when I moved down to SA back in '09, I only brought what fit into the CRD - even at that, it was packed like a sardine tin. I've checked out U-Haul to try and rent one of their small Sport trailers, about 60 cu ft, which would probably hold better than 3/4 of my goods - but U-Haul is claiming the smallest trailer they have available is a 4 X 8 - not too keen on learning on the fly for the first time how to tow a trailer that's nearly as large as the KJ.

Given that I just need some extra room so I don't have to map out how to pack the KJ like I'm planning for the D-Day invasion, I opted for one of these -

http://www.stowaway2.com/store/p/575-StowAway-Hitch-Rack-Swingaway-Frame.aspx

Store in my hometown in NC had one of these swingaway cargo racks on display. I got it off them for a reasonable price so they could get it out of their inventory, and had it on the KJ for the drive down so I could get used to driving with it and make any needed adjustments ahead of time. Neat thing is I can swing it out of the way to get to the spare if need be and still be able to open the rear cargo door.

Rack size is 53" by 25". Now the question is, which of the advertised cargo bags would be a good value and work well with this rack? Right now I'm leaning towards either a Highland or Carpod (both 13 cu ft) or one of the large etrailer bags (20 cu ft).

Anyone have any experience or comments on a suitable cargo bag?

My friend up in Austin had another suggestion - that I could get a cheap plastic lockable truck bed tool box at Wally World and bolt it to the rack - but the biggest version I've been able to find on line is only 6 cu ft.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions on this option as well?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First let me say I hate Walmart
but.......
They have a rack for like 60 bucks and their luggage bags hold up well as well. I have used them before moving my wife to Boston, had a bag on the rear carrier plus one on the roof rack and the insides piled clear up. made it there so it must of worked!

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered one on the roof as well - but I was told by a fellow CRD owner that the factory roof rails (ones running front to rear) on our '05's are only rated for 75 lbs total, and nothing whatsoever directly on the roof itself, per the owners manual.

Also heard that one of the roof bags will give you a noticeable hit on fuel mileage.

Thanks for the tip on Wally World - I'll check them out tonight.

Also found that Advance Auto stocks the Highland 13 cu ft cargo bags, $59.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you've got 'em, try a harbor freight or a northern tool?

opelboy

Reaction score
i put my spare tire on the roof for a short trip and ended up with a small crease on the ribs. not that noticeable but definitely dont put anything on top of roof :disgust:
my last trip i put my stuff in a wally world plastic truck box and some coolers and strapped to the hitch basket. theyre sturdy and waterproof and worked out good. totes work pretty good also just want to make sure the lids are all under a strap. they are even water resistant because the only holes are under the handles. my 2 cents... hope i gave ya some ideas at least