high mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for those reading, who has a high mileage liberty? how many miles, how has the performance been, maintenance done? issues?

reason for asking, my wife drives the liberty that I have, and I think it holds up fairly nicely, has close to 90k on it now, lots of highway travel.

i keep up on the scheduled maintenance, havent had any major issues, just ordinary things (brakes, tires, fluids.) my wife won't tell me if something starts to feel funny, but I know as it ages, things will happen. anyone with mid 100k mileage, or even more?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 2003 FYI, and I guess its the older ******, not the newer one???

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have a 2004 Sport Automatic transmision with 135 600 km (84 257.93 miles) on the clock. + - 10%
Jeep drives like new, nice and tight, handles very good and fuel economy is right on the button in relation to what the window sticker claimed. 20 miles combined city/highway and 23-26 miles highway only (Providing that you drive the speed limit and stick to the speed limit.)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh believe me, the Liberty can make it to those higher mileages. Someone on jeepforum just posted that they have one with 300,000 miles and there's one with 247k that posted on allpar.com and says that they have only had to replace the ball joints. Dunno about the one on Jeepforum, but for the allpar.com list, it has to be verified.

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on my 2003 I have 124,000KMS and not a sinlge issue

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 with 93000 miles right now and it is still going strong. My main problems have been a cooling fan burning out, an oil pressure sensor dying, a dying window regulator, a rear gate that rattles, and my dimming switch goes on the fritz sometimes.

turbodave

Reaction score
Ours is 160K miles, and spent some time in New Orleans ;) (hence the prior salvage and super-cheap price tag).
It is still running VERY well. Front shocks are about the only thing wrong. The 45 is a little hard shifting, but stiull runs perfect.

I like these vehicles. My first ever Jeep - but will probably not be our last. :)

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88k miles, 03, 42rle, drive approximately 90 miles/day mostly freeway. It has been just fine, no problems, no extra maintenance other than the fresh oil, plugs, filter cleaning etc.. It rides really nice too with the OME dampers on the lift.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive not had very good luck with mine, but I still love it.

its got 27k on it and so far Ive had the following problems..

-Air bag light. Bad sensor in passenger seat, covered under warranty.
-Inside lights coming on at random times when the Jeep is parked. Battery has went dead twice.. its not done it in awhile.
-bad rear brake caliper
-Clicking noise coming from front. Idk what it is yet.

Edit:

Warped front rotors

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just rolled over to 62,000 and no big problems thus far. Just put Seafoam thru last night to clean everything out. Only complaints I have are a couple of gremlins in my instrument cluster backlighting. Sometimes the speedometer needle goes dark while I'm driving at night, but it comes right back on if I tap on the glass with my finger. Same thing with the left-hand backlight on the HVAC controls. I just need to tear apart the dash and look at them to see if I can do something about it.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-bad rear brake caliper

i had this on ours as well, actually didnt end up doing anything, the humidity change from winter to spring is what caused it. i cleaned things up and it hasnt come back.

something up front right sounds like a tick when you shut it off, think its ac fan clutch or something? dont know anything about the ac system on this, need to look through fsm

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine isn't high mileage, but I'll post it if it helps.

I've got 32000 miles on it. Bought new. Other than the LBJ recall, mine had a leaky rear pinion seal that was fixed under warranty. No other issues with it so far. I have been doing all the routine maintenance myself. So far it's been fluid changes and new plugs and that's all. Just easy routine stuff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2004 bought 9/21/04
As of today 115,720 miles
Things replaced
Front brakes at 98000, was not worn out but replaced anyways rear still stock
Battery just cause I got a deal on a Redtop, buddy still using my original
idler pulley/tensioner and new belt

whoops forgot an O2 sensor that I caught the wires while off road and had to replace
lower ball joints of course

Nothing else, over 75000 miles lifted , 70000 plus on original upper arms and they are still good, just got a good deal on some of Als so replaced

So besides regular routine maintenance items the battery was 120 shipped to me, and the idler pulley and belt came from a member of LOST who sold their KJ, for I think 20 bucks shipped and the O2 sensor for 35.00 so I have spent 175 bucks in 115,720 miles!
Not bad at all I don't think;)

Last edited:

crazy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned 125000 last week! no issues to report , it's been lifted since about 80'000 and i've replaced one lower ball joint am replcing the oxygen sensor soon and that little sensor for the 4x4 quit working a while ago but it doesn't afect how it runs and I know what gear my transfer case is in so that one really doesn't bother me. Oh yeh it was rolled last week saturday and in less than a week she's back on the road! Now to pick a new paint scheme;)

Dusty

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
66k on mine. Only problem was Hand brake ratchet assembly went bad. I suspect it's going wiggy again, but it works. '04 Sport. Reasonable amount of light to medium off-roading done so the suspension and other components have been beaten up a little more than an street-only model. Drivetrain warranty runs out at 70k. Fingers crossed that nothing happens before it's paid off in Aug '09.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have a 2004 Sport Automatic transmision with 135 600 km (84 257.93 miles) on the clock. + - 10%
Jeep drives like new, nice and tight, handles very good and fuel economy is right on the button in relation to what the window sticker claimed. 20 miles combined city/highway and 23-26 miles highway only (Providing that you drive the speed limit and stick to the speed limit.)

As of today January 1st. 2009 the odometer reads 171541 Kilometers
(106591 Miles) thats 35941 Km (22333 miles) since 08-14-07
Fuel economy has been pretty much the same.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ours is about to hit 100k, havent had any additional issues. its an 03 sport

problems: ball joints x2 obviously, tcase sensor, rear caliper x2

have kept up on all service intervals, trying not to miss anything. still running dino oil, not burning anything noticeable. its pretty easy to work on, with help here I am learning about this thing but most stuff is user friendly.

it has its weird noises clicks, ticks, and clunks but it seems to be holding up.

rust will be my nemesis. (blarg)