HID 9007 Head Light Set Group Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I got an offer from http://www.hidynamic.com/ for a group buy.

Anybody want to do it? We need at least 5 people to get a great deal and even better if we get 10 people to do it.

The two systems they are offering is Catz and Hella. Which are both very nice kits.

http://www.hidynamic.com/groupbuy

I was thinking about this and wondered if you guys would want in.

BoeserBlick you have the catz system... any comments?

Price 224.99 dollars is for the Catz HID kit SHIPPED

10 people and the price is 220.99... yeah I know not much of a price difference.

You must be registered for see images

Thanks,
Bennett

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Bennett. No problemo.
Ever since I got HID's on my previous cars, I've sworn that I'll never own another car without them. As a matter of fact, since Jeep doesn't offer them as an option (yet), I ended up getting an HID kit for the Libby less than a week of purchasing her! Haha. The only downside I experienced with that first kit was losing the high'low beam functionality. Since the Libby's headlights use a dual filament 9007 bulb, it does not have a seperate bulb for high-beams. Since HID employs high intensity discharge lightis from electrified xenon gas, it doesn't have filaments. As such, most kits cannot duplicate high/low capabilities.

However, I soon learned from some of my WRX/STI buddies that their cars also used a 9007 bulb. They informed me that most of their kits also had that downside. However, they did turn me onto the CATZ bi-xenon HID system that DID allow for both high & low beam functionality - despite having a single bulb. This is accomplished by a clever "sleeve/sheath" mechanism controlled by a standalone hi/low module. This is very similar to many higher end OEM bi-xenon systems. It all integrates easily & you activate the lights through your stock controls.
I highly recommend the CATZ system. Hella is the industry benchmark & leader, however I don't think they make a system like the CATZ one yet.
I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

I won't bore you with all the differences in lighting, output, Kelvins, etc. (I've become somewhat of an expert on all this just from the research I've done for my other cars.) Let me just leave you with this though... Do not be fooled by higher Kelvin temps, and seemingly brighter lights based on a blue or purplish hue. The clearest & brightest lights are still the pure white HIDs. All HIDs have abluish hue when you first ignite them. It is the ones that turn pure white that will be easiest on your eyes, oncoming traffic, and others on the road. It will also make for the clearest & crispest output. All the other 'colored' HIDs are just for 'pretty' factor. The good news is the CATZ system & most Hella systems skip the rainbow color non-sense & are of the best quality. If you want form over function, go for the purple & blue stuff... if you want function over form, go white.

All in all, if you can swing the extra bucks, skip the upgraded bulb non-sense (ie: Silverstars) & get the real dealio - HIDs. You'll never go back.

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: You guys are lucky... prices on HIDs have gone down significantly in the last couple of years. When I put on my first set of HID's (retro-fitted European spec OEM HID's on my VW), they were CRAZY expensive. Granted that they included the housing... they were still a $1200 mod... and that was at the group buy discounted price!!!!!

Bennett, how much are the kits your talking to them about? (Make sure the CATZ system they are offering are the ones with the hi/low module. They make a few versions for our bulb size. You want to make sure you get the one with the hi/low module.)

Also, are they offering discounts on other bulb configurations? I've been meaning to add HIDs to my wifes car (got her an old school VW Cabriolet couple of months ago), as well as a project car I recently got my hands on. :)

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the kit I have:

For a good primer on which color gives the most light out put go here:
http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Xenon-HID-Catz-Lights-Kits.htm

Color The major difference is in found in the bulbs. Hid- Fog Lights run at 5400k and Stage 2 bulbs run at 5200k and are composed of a gas mixture that emits a very BLUE hue, Versus a Stage 1 kit, which run at 4300k, and emit a very WHITE light. The Stage 1 kits are the same lights and OEM color in BMW & Lexus this color give you the MOST LUMENS (light output). The stage 2 system is the same exact system found on the European Le man Race cars. This system eclipses any other automotive lighting system in color on the market today. Nothing can even match the light color. Stage 2 is much more BLUISH hue than Any BMW, Mercedes, or popular luxury car on the market.

The choice of stage 1 or stage 2. If your looking for the most light output go with stage 1 (4300k) which is OEM color in BMW and LEXUS. If you just really want that more Blue / Euro look go with the Stage 2 (5200k) kit.

The rising white 4300K (version I have) has the highest light output of the two offered for the 9007 bulb size. The added bonus is that its actually cheaper!!! (The blue is flashier & thus has higher demand - despite the lower light output).

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Peice of cake. I did it in less than an hour - and that was at night with just my tools & a flashlight. I coulda done it in half the time if I had daylight or more light in the garage.

If you want, I can give you a hand with the install since you're in the hood. I've done this enough times to know exactly what to do.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
224.99 dollars is for the Catz HID kit shipped!

I don't think they are Bi, but if they put out 3 times as much light as low beams... do you really need a high beam?? Well for me its no big deal, because I have 4 hella lights mounted on my brush guard that are activated with the brights...

I'd probably buy 2 of these kits (brother and I) and we need at least 5 to do the deal. If we get 10, the price goes down even more...

check out that pdf file I posted above.

Thanks BoeserBlick for the awesome posts!

Bennett

Sean

Reaction score
I could probibally be in for this, but not positive yet... I'd say about 85%

Rocco Bones

Reaction score
BoeserBlick said:
Peice of cake. I did it in less than an hour - and that was at night with just my tools & a flashlight. I coulda done it in half the time if I had daylight or more light in the garage.

If you want, I can give you a hand with the install since you're in the hood. I've done this enough times to know exactly what to do.

Did u replace the housing or just the bulb to HID?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
The HID bulb is the exact same size as a normal 9007 Halogen bulb so it just simply screws in without modification.

Bennett

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if this a full set-up, igniters/ballasts, bulbs, adaptors, etc. i might be in...gotta see if i can scrape up the money...I'm looking for something that's a high and low beam conversion though...i also don't want a really obnoxious(sp?) blue...i want the whitest white possible without being blue...

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boeser,
One question...have you had any problems with the fuzz since they're an "off road only" kit???

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that this setup is not Jeep specific but would work with any automotive lighting system that utilizes a 9007 bulb system ? If so, I may have plans for mine as well as another vehicle.
Greg

NightCrawler

Reaction score
Can you show us some pics of the lights installed and what they look like ay night on the road.

BoeserBlick said:
This is the kit I have:

Color The major difference is in found in the bulbs. Hid- Fog Lights run at 5400k and Stage 2 bulbs run at 5200k and are composed of a gas mixture that emits a very BLUE hue, Versus a Stage 1 kit, which run at 4300k, and emit a very WHITE light. The Stage 1 kits are the same lights and OEM color in BMW & Lexus this color give you the MOST LUMENS (light output). The stage 2 system is the same exact system found on the European Le man Race cars. This system eclipses any other automotive lighting system in color on the market today. Nothing can even match the light color. Stage 2 is much more BLUISH hue than Any BMW, Mercedes, or popular luxury car on the market.

The choice of stage 1 or stage 2. If your looking for the most light output go with stage 1 (4300k) which is OEM color in BMW and LEXUS. If you just really want that more Blue / Euro look go with the Stage 2 (5200k) kit.

The rising white 4300K (version I have) has the highest light output of the two offered for the 9007 bulb size. The added bonus is that its actually cheaper!!! (The blue is flashier & thus has higher demand - despite the lower light output).

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
I don't think they are Bi, but if they put out 3 times as much light as low beams... do you really need a high beam?? Well for me its no big deal, because I have 4 hella lights mounted on my brush guard that are activated with the brights...

Actually, I don't need them either since I've got the lights up top.
And to be perfectly honest with you, the "high" beam isn't very pronounced when you engage it (its obvious, but not overtly).
HOWEVER, the reason why I like having it is because I live in NYS & we have annual inspections of vehicles. When I had the non-bi kit, it wasn't an issue passing since the car was still new & they didnt do a thorough inspection. In NY, they never do a thorough one for cars under 2 or 3 years old. However, my LJ is an '03.... meaning, if they wanted to, they could technically do a full one (prolly wont tho). If they do, I could fail inspection for not having high-beams. Further scrutiny would make it obvious that I have aftermarket HIDs (which are technically illegal) - only OEMs are legal technically. I guesss it doesn't really matter since I know the guys at the garage where I get my inspection. I'm just **** about retaining the function. But if you don't get these inspected, then this is a HELLUVA DEAL!!!!

Rocco Bones said:
Did u replace the housing or just the bulb to HID?

Nope... it is plug & play. I would jump on this deal. That's a great price. And the install is a BREEZE!!!!

SavageSS27 said:
Boeser,
One question...have you had any problems with the fuzz since they're an "off road only" kit???

Not at all. And with my background in cars, I'm a pretty high-profile target of cops hehehe #-o O:) Then again, the Jeep isn't exactly an intimidating street rod haha. If anything, I've only gotten heat for my tints (front windows are a no no in NYC), but even those are fixit tickets.

BoeserBlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NightCrawler said:
Can you show us some pics of the lights installed and what they look like ay night on the road.

BoeserBlick said:
This is the kit I have:

I'll try to get some road shots tonight. But here are a few I took last night. Sorry I didn't post earlier (fell asleep early last night)...

Taken in a driveway under a street lamp, but with no flash. I just ignited them so its not at 100% brightness yet.
ALSO - remember, my headlights are tinted, so the output on factory housings will be brighter!

with flash...

Passenger side ballast. The Catz kit comes with a mounting plate that made it a breeze to mount this on the side of the fender.
(please excuse the grime, I haven't cleaned under the hood... well since I got the Jeep hahahaha)

Not sure if you can make it out, but here's the drivers side ballast. I mounted it under the battery & fuse box.

One of the igniter/high-low control modules...

The actual control module "brain" to control the high-low sleev/sheath.

A very dirty engine bay... I really need to clean this up when the weather is warmer...

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
THANKS BoeserBlick for the pictures!

Ok cool, so far I have..

Definetly want to do it:
1. Me
2. billforde

Still thinking about it.
1. Sean
2. SavageSS27
3. gsbrockman

We only need 5 kits to complete the deal... again price is $224.99 dollars Catz HID SHIPPED.

Basically the kit is 6000K or 8000K HIDYNAMIC Genuine Japanese CATZ powered intergraded ballast/igniter system HID Conversion kit.

Bennett

Latest posts

Members online