Hi from Uk + Pre Lowered Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srcars

Reaction score
Hi from Southern UK. I have been into cars since I could drive and built a few different things from Kit Cars, Hot Rods and a couple of specials I rebuilt an old CJ5 years ago and then have been through a fair few Suzukis for off roading. I have been looking for a while for something a bit bigger for light off roading/camping trips ect and the Jeep KJ seemed really good value for money. I already have an idea of how I would like to get my 3.7 V6 2001 KJ to end up although parts in the UK are hard to come by so I need to get it right first time round.

Having done a good bit of reading I have come to the conclusion that my KJ being a very early one is sitting a bit taller from the factory. Its done 74,000 miles and has 235 70 R16 ATs on it and is sitting 19" wheel centre to arch on the front and 20" on the rear. My question is how did Jeep lower it 3/4" on the later models ? did they just fit shorter springs ? I dont want to order what I think will be a 2" lift to only find I only gain 1 1/4" and I dont want to go to far and damage my CVs if its already slightly lifted.

Thanks in advance

Rich

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
(welcome)

19/20 is pretty good for 74k and being prelowered. Yes, they did use shorter springs.

My impression....I think a lot of companies used prelowered KJ's to test things out, on my non prelowered one (it was 18/18.5) I gained about 3" (now at 21 and some change). You can go to 23 without having to grind CV joints or anything.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you have sagged about an inch lower than stock
They used shorter springs after April 12, 2002 ( 3/4 on an inch)
Do not pay any attention to what is advertised really like the OME springs you'll get more than advertised be it lowered or prelowered