Hi all, please read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I have a line on a decent first gen Yamaha electrics...just don't know what amp I need to make it sound the way I want.

$350 will have them in the back of my KJ and in my apt. Only 1 cymbal, but I could reprogram a drum head for ride or another crash.

You will need a full range amp of course. I ran one through a 7.1 Surround system, with the sub-woofer, and put it on NEO6, and it was freeking awesome. With a simple surround amp, say a DD5.1, you have all those sound options:

Church, Hall, Theater, Concert, Stadium, and such. Some don't have ALL those characteristics, but, with a surround amp you have full range, if you have the 5+Sub speakers.

You'll pay a good 250.00 for a good amp. You can check out:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/electronic-drums/drum-amplifiers
They start at $129.00, and orders that are 100.00 or more are FREE shipping.

I got ALL my ****** 101s (18", 16", 14" and 13" Hi-Hat) from there, some stands, and cymbal arms. There is a used shop near my office, I got ****** Alpha 20 Power Ride", 18", and 16" for $200.00; and the double bass pedal for $60.00, that small rack was like $30.00.

I bought the Kit from my uncle for 500.00, with Saibian 20" Ride, 18", and 14" Hi Hats. That's also the, Bass, Snare, Six toms, and all the hardware.

I play Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeath, some Queensryche, three rush songs (one poorly); Guns-N-Roses (EASY), AC/CD (Easy - can LEARN from this music), and some other stuff with fast beats. I can play just about any maiden song with no problems, except the fast bass with ONE foot like Nico does. I don't have the correct pedal, I need the DW-5000, or the Ludwig Speed King pedal. Metallica is getting harder to play with age... I was able to play in my 20s with NO problems, now, it's a little tougher. Should not be, as Nico still bangs it out without even LOOKING at his hardware, but, he's in the band, and HAS to practice, I don't. He's ranked 23 in the top 100. I model my playing after his...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Powerslave! I would like to get the drums and start learning what I am capable of.:eek:

I have my Harmon Kardon AVR 125 surround system, I would like to use that if I could. I think this is an easy and cheap way to get a kit without the space requirements of a natural kit....since I now live in a smaller apt...size is important. This Yamaha kit folds in nicely. Aaaah, maybe someday when I win the Mega Millions Lotto. :p

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You will need a full range amp of course. I ran one through a 7.1 Surround system, with the sub-woofer, and put it on NEO6, and it was freeking awesome. With a simple surround amp, say a DD5.1, you have all those sound options:

Church, Hall, Theater, Concert, Stadium, and such. Some don't have ALL those characteristics, but, with a surround amp you have full range, if you have the 5+Sub speakers.

You'll pay a good 250.00 for a good amp. You can check out:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/electronic-drums/drum-amplifiers
They start at $129.00, and orders that are 100.00 or more are FREE shipping.

I got ALL my ****** 101s (18", 16", 14" and 13" Hi-Hat) from there, some stands, and cymbal arms. There is a used shop near my office, I got ****** Alpha 20 Power Ride", 18", and 16" for $200.00; and the double bass pedal for $60.00, that small rack was like $30.00.

I bought the Kit from my uncle for 500.00, with Saibian 20" Ride, 18", and 14" Hi Hats. That's also the, Bass, Snare, Six toms, and all the hardware.

I play Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeath, some Queensryche, three rush songs (one poorly); Guns-N-Roses (EASY), AC/CD (Easy - can LEARN from this music), and some other stuff with fast beats. I can play just about any maiden song with no problems, except the fast bass with ONE foot like Nico does. I don't have the correct pedal, I need the DW-5000, or the Ludwig Speed King pedal. Metallica is getting harder to play with age... I was able to play in my 20s with NO problems, now, it's a little tougher. Should not be, as Nico still bangs it out without even LOOKING at his hardware, but, he's in the band, and HAS to practice, I don't. He's ranked 23 in the top 100. I model my playing after his...

You Sir have fine taste in music!

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Nice Powerslave! I would like to get the drums and start learning what I am capable of.:eek:

I have my Harmon Kardon AVR 125 surround system, I would like to use that if I could. I think this is an easy and cheap way to get a kit without the space requirements of a natural kit....since I now live in a smaller apt...size is important. This Yamaha kit folds in nicely. Aaaah, maybe someday when I win the Mega Millions Lotto. :p

That should not be a problem. You can make it sound very nice with a DD5.1 or better system. It has Dolby Pro Logic II emulation, that should sound ok.

Yeah, you have Theater, Hall I & II, 5-Channel Stereo. You can see which one of those sounds ok. Since you do not have an Analog set with real acoustics of a room, those modes can give you the acoustics with the Digital set.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I play Iron Maiden,

At fiiiiiiiiive o'clock...they take ThunderbirdJunkie to the gallows' pooooooooole....
Megadeath,

Whattya mean ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't support your system?
He goes to court when he has to
Queensryche,
THUNDERBIRDJUNKIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S ALL ALONE
IT'S ANOTHER RAINY NIGHT
Without you
three rush songs

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF SAAAAAAAAAAALESMEN
Why is ThunderbirdJunkie here? Because he's here...roll the bones...
All this machinery making modern music...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
That should not be a problem. You can make it sound very nice with a DD5.1 or better system. It has Dolby Pro Logic II emulation, that should sound ok.

Yeah, you have Theater, Hall I & II, 5-Channel Stereo. You can see which one of those sounds ok. Since you do not have an Analog set with real acoustics of a room, those modes can give you the acoustics with the Digital set.

That would be perfect. Now I just need 350 bones for the kit, 600 for a new DSLR camera.....and so on. sad2.gif

At fiiiiiiiiive o'clock...they take ThunderbirdJunkie to the gallows' pooooooooole....

The sands of time for me are running looooooooooow

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Songs I play very well, and as CLOSE to the original as possible:

The number of the Beast
22 Acacia Avenue
The Prisoner
Hallowed by thy Name
Total Eclipse
Tailgunner