Hesitation in shifting while cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddyh7

Reaction score
So whenever I start driving from having my 04 liberty sitting, first to second has a somewhat harsh Hesitation shifting. It feels like a pull back then it shifts. After driving for a minute or two it's a lot smoother. Is it normal? Not really a mechanical kind of guy but I've never drove anything with a torque converter so I'm guessing it needs time to engage fluid or whatever. I would appreciate any input, just purchased it for a good price of 1,500 from an old lady. 04 3.7 limited with 135,000.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the AT fluid and report back. If you aren't a mechanical guy have a shop do it and change the filter but don't have a flush done as you don't know if that fluid has ever been changed or the overall state of things.

And before that, go ahead and pull the dipstick when the car is hot and see if there is enough fluid and what it looks like. If really dark red/brown it's definitely time for a change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the AT fluid and report back. If you aren't a mechanical guy have a shop do it and change the filter but don't have a flush done as you don't know if that fluid has ever been changed or the overall state of things.

And before that, go ahead and pull the dipstick when the car is hot and see if there is enough fluid and what it looks like. If really dark red/brown it's definitely time for a change
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you just bought it and have a AT problem. Your old AT fluid might be the problem. You should get the AT flushed.

Make sure the only fluid you put in the AT is AFT+4

It should be best quality ATF+4. Mopar or whatever you think is best!

I use Castrol AFT+4 while others use Mopar ATF+4

FYI: there are 15 qts of ATF. But a trans service will only remove 5 or 6 qts. thats why a professional flush might be the way to go if you have this roblem and cant flush it yourself.

Hopefully this will remedy your problem!

There are 2 filters and a gasket needed along with 5 or 6 Qts of ATF+4 fluid.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem,just learned to deal with it. changed the fluid and it helped, but it still has the same problem.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem,just learned to deal with it. changed the fluid and it helped, but it still has the same problem.

How many fluid changes have you done with this problem and what ATF are you using?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change the fluid and filter every year, and use Valvoline ATF+4. It gets changed every 20,000 miles or so which is what I drive every year. But besides that problem the transmission now hesitates when going into drive from using reverse, almost likes its slipping.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change the fluid and filter every year, and use Valvoline ATF+4. It gets changed every 20,000 miles or so which is what I drive every year. But besides that problem the transmission now hesitates when going into drive from using reverse, almost likes its slipping.

So you never did a full flush?
If the fluid is not burnt, check the trans codes -maybe its just an AT pump problem.

Have you tried the Lucas TRANS FIX OR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID CONDITIONER?

Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formula that stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance.

I dont like anything Valvoline, maybe castrol AFT+4 can help.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know part of my problem is the fact that the transmission hardly ever gets over 100 degrees F in the winter, I also know that due to my hd setup my transmission runs 80 degrees F under the OEM operating temperature. I haven't even seen the transmission over 160 since this past summer.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno if it's a US vs AU thing but I have always been told by the "experts" to only use Mopar ATF+4 anything else always gives problems. Maybe it's just what is on the AU market isn't good dunno

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 42RLE is NOT the brightest on the block when cold.
Initial low line pressures valve body, Is what I think but..
A flash is available & with new ATF+4 (relearn then set) by star scan.
As the Trans fluid heats up it will climb a bit on dipstick.
So when cold , level ground-wheel blocked, get a reading while running in Neutral.
Hopefully the fluid reading is almost at full line.
I would want to consult dealer to see if there any other more current updates...
Link: http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_21-002-07-REVB.pdf
I had mine flashed quite a while ago now, it did improve shifting, but I also added 1/2 quart more ATF+4 and lubegard Red..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ATF+4 is ATF+4, has to meet the licence requirements, so Supertech ATF+4 is just as good as Mopar.

Mine used to slam really hard into gears before the rebuild. After the rebuild, it's pretty much seamless in the cold. Still a 42RLE, so there's occasional odd thing. (Don't have as many WTF moments with it as I do the nine speed in the KL). Been -20F here and days where we don't see 0. But mine got rebuilt with some other goodies, so stock might be a little clunkier. Lived in FL when mine was newer, so never really got to try a known good stock one in the cold.

Eddyh7

Reaction score
I'll be having someone doing a full flush for me and I'll report back with its overall state. It's literally only 1st to 2nd for roughly 2 mins or after the 3rd stop and go it dissipates and start shifting much smoother.

Eddyh7

Reaction score
Also what's a dealer charge to flush and add the trams fluid as well as a updated flash? Any general idea on cost?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this too and I'm not in a super cold climate. If it gets a bit below 30F, my 05 has symptoms similar to the OP. Fluid looks fine but I do plan to do a pan drop soon. I have no record of last service. Funny thing is my 02 with the 45RFE doesn't do this. It has a harsh downshift from 2 to 1 until it warms up.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this too and I'm not in a super cold climate. If it gets a bit below 30F, my 05 has symptoms similar to the OP. Fluid looks fine but I do plan to do a pan drop soon. I have no record of last service. Funny thing is my 02 with the 45RFE doesn't do this. It has a harsh downshift from 2 to 1 until it warms up.

I fixed that on my my 02 with the 45RFE by doing a filter change & 6 qts of castrol ATF4.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What my jeep experiences is what Chrysler I guess is calling transmission shuttering according to the TSB. I just hope that my transmission can hang on till summer, when I actually will have time to replace it.

Latest posts

Members online