Help with MPG/Performance Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willabbott

Reaction score
Just recently got our '05 Jeep Liberty CRD. (and I've been reading and posting trying to learn and get a plan together for this awesome little jeep)

Trying to get some help and assistance on planning out our long term goals for the Jeep.

Primary use is a daily driver for me, approx 15-20mi one way, mostly highway.
We will also use this jeep for long road trips, occasional off road (mostly gravel and dirt roads not much serious 4x4) and occasional towing. I say occasional towing as we want to retain the ability for occasional use of towing the boat, small trailers, and possibly the horses... we have a Ford 7.2L Powerstroke for our towing needs, so towing with the Jeep will be only when needed.

So far from what I've read it sounds like the things to do are:

• Exhaust (2.5 or 3", haven't heard which is best so far, but I lean to 3")
  • Green Diesel Tune (not sure which tune... I thought I read or heard, that the tune makes it likely you need to change your torque converter, or will need to replace it prematurely, OR you need to get their ****** tune)
    • I'm also curious if there are other options? Like is there any programmers compatible with the CRD that would allow switching programs, like an ECO mode for daily, towing for when towing, and performance when you want all you can get safely

I was thinking I had heard about some other things, like the EGR, etc.. but the Green Diesel tune gets rid of the EGR... I thought about maybe eventually replacing that pipe with the kit someone was making to remove the EGR component, and gate for it, since it seems like it would remove un-needed and unwanted components once disabled by the tune, and possibly some restrictions

I've heard that a K&N or similar filter isn't worth the money, but that maybe some sort of intake (if one is available) might help.

Open to suggestions and recommendations based on our needs and use... Trying to layout a plan for what to do, and in what order... I think the Green Diesel Tune is on the top of the list to do first, it's easy and simple (I can do it myself) provides performance, and will disable the EGR so that further soot buildup won't occur (once disabled, I'd like to take to a mechanic and have them remove the EGR assembly, check and clean if necessary)

Thanks for the help and advice...

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Hello, willabbott:

The #1 thing you need to know about your Liberty CRD is that it's chassis limits the towing capability to 5000 lbs, and I would not exceed that amount, as the Liberty is essentially a unibody design.

The engine and transmission may be capable of towing more, but you run the risk of overloading the chassis by exceeding the limit.

Consult Keith at GDE for the recommended tune. He does have an aftermarket turbo kit that makes the engine produce 200 HP and 400 ft/lbs of torque.

Even if you are not going for the hottest GDE tunes, I would recommend a completely rebuilt and kitted transmission, with the GDE transmission tune that mates the shift points on the ****** with the power curve of the engine. You are going to be towing with your CRD... don't skimp on the transmission mods.

You have a horrible engine thermostat assembly in the R428 engine that powers the CRD, and that thermostat makes most of the problems this vehicle experiences even worse. I am the only manufacturer in the entire world of an excellent thermostat assembly that works way better, is inexpensive and easy to service, and makes your engine perform better than the O.E. unit. You will experience more power and better fuel mileage with my thermostat assembly installed, as well as better reliability.

I am also developing a proper intake elbow for this vehicle that removes the EGR equipment from the engine, and provides ports for a turbo blow-off valve and other aftermarket equipment such as a turbo boost gauge. There is an intake elbow available already being made, but there is no provision for these ports on this unit. My unit will be superior in design and materials, and will provide you with the ability to protect the turbocharger from surging in off-throttle situations.

Although turbo surging in this engine is rare, towing heavy loads is one situation where surging can occur. This is why Chrysler manufactured an EGR system to do double-duty and act as a turbo surge protector. While removing the EGR on this engine definitely has some benefits, like better flow of air into the engine and easier access of the glow plugs, you do run the risk of damaging the turbo if you do not provide an alternate means to stop turbo surging.

E-mail me, or telephone me for more information.

Latest posts

Members online