Help, Rear Ball Joint ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeep

Reaction score
If anyone has done this repair ....

I am just in the process of changing my bjoint and I can't get the ball joint seperated from the diff housing bracket. Does the pinch bolt have to come all the way out? Bolt won't come out and no amount of prying banging etc will free the joint. I've tryed having the a-arm at different angles. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks

I also posted in the how-to for this repair. Thanks

jeep

Reaction score
Ya I read that and it does say remove the bolt but it don't budge.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
May have to remove the whole bracket from the rear diff. 3 bolts holds it on, but very tight. What can happen if the rear ball joint is real bad the bolt will bend some making it hard to get out. Yes the bolt has to come clear out to get the ball joint out, it has like a C in it that the bolt slides through.

Just did one on another KJers here locally couple of weeks ago

jeep

Reaction score
That's what I figured the groove in the stud was for. And yes the ball joint is very bad and the stud did seem cocked over before I removed the nut. Dang bolt just won't come out and won't even turn .. I tryed heat , penatrant, everything. Also what is with the tab/washer on the bolt head side? I have put it back together for now but will have to take it out with the diff bracket attatched so I can get at the pinch bolt better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On one of them I had to just beat the bolt out after I removed everything. It finally came out but couldn't get it to budge while still bolted up on the rear diff, big vice and lots of pounding.

jeep

Reaction score
On one of them I had to just beat the bolt out after I removed everything. It finally came out but couldn't get it to budge while still bolted up on the rear diff, big vice and lots of pounding.

That sounds like what I will be doing. Thanks all for the input!

cmohr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took out the two body mount bolts, then put a jack under the front of the diff and slowly put a little pressure under the diff to hold it up, the pinch bolt slid straight out, then I used a second jack with a lenght of wood to jack the rear control arm upwards (right beside the ball joint) and the two separated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I took out the two body mount bolts, then put a jack under the front of the diff and slowly put a little pressure under the diff to hold it up, the pinch bolt slid straight out, then I used a second jack with a lenght of wood to jack the rear control arm upwards (right beside the ball joint) and the two separated.

One worked that way for me as well, last one though since the thing was so worn out, it had bent the bolt and really was hard to get apart

BFH is my friend;)

jeep

Reaction score

Tried all that ... didn't work.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you jack the whole vehicle up, support it under the "frame" and suspend the rear axle, then move the axle front and baCK while watching the rear ball joint. Correct?

jeep

Reaction score
So you jack the whole vehicle up, support it under the "frame" and suspend the rear axle, then move the axle front and baCK while watching the rear ball joint. Correct?

Nope ... you don't need to jack it up, just sitting on the ground in park/gear. rock it/ roll it for/aft. watch the ball joint. you'll know if it is bad. you will even see the diff roll/pivot if it is bad enough like mine.

Yup tryed a BFH, my problem is I can't get the pinch bolt out. I think I made it worse trying to seperate the joint from diff ...I'm waiting till the weekend again and then just removing the diff bracket with it. that way there will be no limit to the force I can apply. ie 50ton press etc!