Help Needed Picking New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuJass

Reaction score
I'm needing help selecting new tires for our Lib.

We need excellent traction in the snow, quiet ride, long life, raised white outline letters, and would like an aggressive LOOKING sidewall/shoulder (squareed off shoulder).

We're looking at the Cooper Discoverer H/T and Discoverer ATR, Kelly Safari Signature, Dean Wildcat Touring SLT, and Kuhmo Road Venture H/T.

The size I'm looking at is 225/75 16.

Any help in picking a tire would be greatly appreciated. I figured the people on this board have the most experience with what tires work the best on the Libs.

dnm45227

Reaction score
the most popular are;

1. bridgestone dueler at revos
2. bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko
3. general grabber at2

i personally went w/the bfg's. only thing is you would most likely have to go 235/70/16.

i can give you several reasons why i went w/the bfg's, but all of the requirements you listed would most likely be met by any of the other tires listed.

you can do comparisons at tirerack.com

HuJass

Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
the most popular are;

1. bridgestone dueler at revos
2. bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko
3. general grabber at2

i personally went w/the bfg's. only thing is you would most likely have to go 235/70/16.

i can give you several reasons why i went w/the bfg's, but all of the requirements you listed would most likely be met by any of the other tires listed.

you can do comparisons at tirerack.com

Aren't those three tires all-terrain type tires?

We don't do any 4-wheeling with the vehicle. I don't think we need the added off-road traction of an A/T tire. Not to mention the increased road noise and increased cost.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HuJass said:
We need excellent traction in the snow, quiet ride, long life, raised white outline letters, and would like an aggressive LOOKING sidewall/shoulder (squareed off shoulder).

When you describe the tire you may be interested in you are better describing an all-terrain tire. The Bridgestone Revo's are great tires, not loud, excellent traction in snow, long life, raised white outline letters, and aggressive LOOKING.

I have ran these tires when I was stock and had no complaints, no noise, no spin outs, and they looked great.

Try the Goodyear Silent Armor?

HuJass

Reaction score
Boy, those REVOs look beefy.
I can't believe that those could be quieter than an on-road tire.

But the price is a big factor. Those REVOs are like $300 more than the tires I mentioned in the first post.
I'm sure they're better, but not $300 better.

So I'm still considering the ones first mentioned. If anybody could chime in with some real world experience with these, I'd appreciate it.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 245/70 Nokian Vatiivas on my Lib, Finnish built tires. Figured they would know something about snow, ice and unimproved roads. They have a 50,000 mile warranty like the other high end tires, but I only paid $110 mounted and balanced per wheel. Quiet, huge difference in traction over the stockers, and I haven't noticed a change in mpg, like some have reported running BFG ATs for instance. Had them in 12 - 14 inches of snow driving out of elk camp this season, they're awesome!!

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider, the General AT2's have a 7.5" tread width in the 225/75's, whereas the REVOS and most others in that size are running 6.9" or so.

Good for looks and traction, but probably wont help mileage any. When I buy tires I will be getting the Generals. $475 for all 5 mounted and balanced, is not bad either.

pdxKJ

Reaction score
Hi, I have the GoodYear Silent Armor and they are great, I live in Oregon lots of rain and they perform perfect. Look on the agresive side, but do not look as if you are going to a safari. They aren't cheap. but they are quiet and are excellent option to the BFG or Revos. Lots of technology on these tires.

jelohead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would buy revos again without hesitation, great all around tire, but rotate em frequently to avoid cupping

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.