Help! Need to remove radiator 04 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrj_442

Reaction score
Hello! I am in the process of changing the brake line that goes to the right front brake hose. It looks like I need to remove the radiator in order to get the line out. Line has a crack in it, and I have new line that I can bend and flare. Problem is, I have to get the radiator out, in order to get the line out that is routed in front of the radiator/condenser. I have everything loose, have removed the core support and the grill, but the rubber that goes between the condenser and radiator is stuck to the radiator.- There is little room to move the radiator to get the rubber off the square mounts. Anyone have any suggestions how to get this out? Never seen a radiator this hard to get out before.

mrj_442

Reaction score
No, I'm referring to the ac condenser bolted to the radiator. The line I need to replace is the line for the right front brake, which is routed from the junction block on the drivers side, to the area behind the front bumper, back to the right front brake hose. Thank you for replying.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
If you're replacing that line then I'd just cut it up to get it out without disturbing the radiator or AC condenser. If you're following the same route with the replacement then things get difficult. Can you route the new one a different way safely/protected?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you unbolt the condenser from the radiator, the condenser will be loose and should just flop around. When you say the rubber is stuck to the radiator, are you taking about the rubber flap that directs air through the condenser/radiator? Its not really stuck to the radiator, but it does slide over a hook on the radiator. I was able to use a long flat blade ***** driver to push it up and off the hooks, its kinda sucked.

I did see the brake line under my radiator while I had it out. I thought, 'hmm, thats an odd place to run a brake line.' Good luck....

mrj_442

Reaction score
To 02 Blue: That's not a bad idea. I agree, that would be extremely difficult to reroute in the same place, hence the removal of the radiator. Good thing is that it won't be too bad to bolt back up, since I can access the bolts now with the grill removed. I would need to find another safe place to route the line, but it has to be in an area that the line is protected. I will look at it again to see if there is another option.

To Jeep Jeepster: At this point, the condenser is unbolted, but still does not move easily. I am talking about the flap that directs the air through the condenser/radiator. I see the areas where the square mounts sit, and was trying a long blade screwdriver, but have not been able to loosen it yet. Where is the hook you are talking about, are these the square mounts?

Yes, removing this kinda sucked. Thank you for the help, it shouldn't be this difficult. I have to get this right, as my best friends son will be driving this...very important to get it right.

DHBirren2

Reaction score
I suggest taking the bumper cover/grille and headlights off; it's pretty easy. Once you expose the bumper itself, the brake line is right there. You may be able to leave both the radiator and condenser (mostly) alone.

mrj_442

Reaction score
Well, I got the radiator out, by unhooking the condenser from the clip on the font of the radiator, before I saw this. I did not want to pull the bumper cover off. I am going to reroute the line across the crossmember, and back toward the junction block. I have new line for this, some copper nickel alloy line. I'm going to change the drivers side, also. I have to get some metric fittings, as the ones I got were standard.

I have both lines off now, and had to cut the one for the passenger side. Just to make sure I get this back in the right place, can someone post a picture of the correct routing at the junction block. Pretty sure the passenger side is the rear port, and the drivers side is the next one forward, but want to be sure.

One thing I found that was weird was that one of the nuts looks like a different thread, like it had either been installed wrong, or was the wrong nut to start with. I may have to reuse that, to get it back in the correct thread pattern...pretty sure it is the second one from the back.

Thanks for the help.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Jeep Brake Block 5 lines.jpg
    Jeep Brake Block 5 lines.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Members online