HELP - My door wont open and the electric window is broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesBrittain

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive got two problems i was hoping someone could help out with.

The first is my nearside rear door wont open. The outside and inside door handles still seem to have full range on them and in fact when you do try and open the door it does open but only about 1cm. After thinking about it and playing around with the door locking mechanism on another door I think whats happening is the door locking mechanism is only opening the first click hence allowing the door to open 1cm but then failing to open the full amount and release the door catch mounted on the body. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone shed some light on how i can open the door?

Secondly the electric window on the same door isn't working. I can hear the motor working when i use the window rocker switch but there is no movement. The window actually slides up and down in the door frame freely if i use my hands to move it and in addition the electric motor continues to go on forever if i keep the rocker switch pushed in either direction. This leads me to believe that perhaps the mechanical conection between the motor and the glass has broken? Again has anyone had this problem or can anyone help advise me as to whats wrong?

Your help would be really appreciated guys as these problems are really bugging me.

Cheers, James

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't know much about the door issue. But, the window issue seems like a regulator to me. Faulty regulators seem to very common amoung KJs, especially 05-07. Hope that helped. :D

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear window regulator cable came out of it's housing and is stuck in your door latch, regulator replacement will fix your problem, once you get your door open you can see the cable through the latch opening

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, funny thats what happened to me today after knowing i became a certified firefighter...woooohoo...anyway, as described i can open the door from the outside, but not through the inside...and indeed i saw the wire...wow...i was wonderinh what that was...whats the fix? New reg? How much?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the glass fell off track and is interfering with the door pull links?

I'm feeling a link as well. Too much of a coincidence that you can't open your door right when the window stops moving up and down in the door-- even though you can still hear the window motor running.

JamesBrittain

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Can any of you advise how i can even get the door open in the first place to try and fix the the window? Thats my real problem as i can't even take the door trim off when the door is shut so I have no idea how to even start fixing my problems. As mentioned the door opens 1cm but thats it.

Thanks for the help again guys.

rulas

Reaction score
The same thing has just happened to me. Any ideas on how to get the stuck door open to try and fix the window?

themadness

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if it would work but, maybe try to get the door panel off enough to take a look. my regulator died and the cable eventually came loose and lodged in the door latch. the only way i found it was by the annoying rattle in the door. after inspecting it, a cable resembling a large pipe cleaner was visible behind the latch. i was able to get my door open but you still may be able to get the panel off far enough to shine a light to find the problem.

as far as the reg goes a replacement will run about 150 dollars. i took my panel off and zip tied the window so it wouldnt fall. there are a couple of holes in the frame of the door you can run a tie thru after you push the window all the way up.

lorentw

Reaction score
Ok same here, my window quit about 2 months ago, then I had an accident at work and just got released to drive again, i noticed the rear door only opens about 1cm or so, I pulled the panel off but cant figure out how to get that darn door open. at least i got the window tied at the top instead of falling down all the time.

lorentw

Reaction score
well I went back out, took the plastic cover off, reached in and pulled the broken regulator cable out and BAM the door opens, i zip tied it out of the way now to find an inexpensive replacement.

djpearce

Reaction score
I've seen on E-Bay where they are selling the plastic part that attached the window to the regulator for around $20. Seem like this is the part that fails most of the time.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new regulator at NAPA. Redesigned, so it shouldn't break again, but lifetime warranty if it does.