Help me pick out some SHOCKS for 03 Jeep Liberty Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep seems to sway a little bit at high velocities (70+). My cousin lifted it up and checked the sway bars and said they looked fine.

I recently put a radiator in and the mechanic said the swaying was because it needed new shocks?

It has 173k miles and I am pretty sure the radiator was never changed so the shocks probably are 173k miles old.

Here is where I have been looking:

2003 Jeep Liberty (kj) LIMITED Shocks & Stabilizers

THESE ARE $150 EACH SIDE! Race Pages - Jeep Liberty Shocks - 2003

Is there anything I should know, change anything while underneath? Also need front rotors but not urgent at the moment...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
at 173,000 you are 100,000 over from needing all new springs and shocks all around
Bet it has sagged a lot and sitting an inch or more below OEM specs.
Shocks with worn out springs is like putting on new socks with holes in your shoes. Will be OK for a day or so maybe,....................... :happy175:

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking for some advice on where to go....What is a top of the line product...Etc...

But...Just decided to pull the trigger on these:

LEFT:
Amazon.com: Monroe 171577L Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly: Automotive

RIGHT:
Amazon.com: Monroe 171577R Quick-Strut Complete Strut Assembly: Automotive

Now time for someone to say I got ripped off or "if you spent an extra $50 you could have gotten these..."

Here is how they look:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last question..Should I grab this too??? Or unnecessary?

Monroe 37203 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber ($32)

The Monroe Sensa-Trac truck shock absorber with PSD (position sensitive damping) and the Safe Tech system combines our exclusive precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube with application engineered valving and Fluon banded piston to improve the ride, handling, and safety characteristics of the vehicle. These features allow the Monroe Sensa-Trac truck shock absorber to adjust more rapidly to changing road and weight conditions than any other available shock absorber. The result: enhanced control with uncompromised ride comfort.
Amazon.com: Monroe 37203 Sensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber: Automotive

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, just noticed Monroe has a promotion through April 30.

I get a $50 rebate with my purchase of the L/R strut assembly (total was $263.44 w/ free 2 day delivery)

If I spend the $32 for the shock absorber (apparently it is both sides so $64) I will get a $60 rebate instead of $50...

Basically I pay $263.44 for the 2 struts and they give me two shock absorbers (~$60) for free....Tempting...

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll advise you that cheap is expensive around here. Tom will too. do some reading here and settle down. LOL!

Read the lift faqs and you'll get to know that OME springs (old man emu) are the best. Bilstein shocks are the shock of choice. Monroe is CRAP. Just how it is. People on here have many years experience.

don't be tempted unless its just a temporary affair. Like if you're going to sell it in a year and really don't care for it anyway.

....and you'll still need rear springs or your gonna feel like your sitting on a hill all the time.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll advise you that cheap is expensive around here. Tom will too. do some reading here and settle down. LOL!

Read the lift faqs and you'll get to know that OME springs (old man emu) are the best. Bilstein shocks are the shock of choice. Monroe is CRAP. Just how it is. People on here have many years experience.

don't be tempted unless its just a temporary affair. Like if you're going to sell it in a year and really don't care for it anyway.

....and you'll still need rear springs or your gonna feel like your sitting on a hill all the time.

Thanks for your responses....Could you PLEASE post 3, 4, 5, whatever amount of links to everything I will need? I just placed the Amazon order and can cancel.

I have an 03 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7L with 4x4

I was just ready to fork over $263 for the front left and right strut assembly...So hopefully prices will be comparable cause not trying to spend more than $350 for everything...It would be best through Amazon if they have the parts...

Now I will tell you that I spent $30 yesterday on the hood lift support (total for left and right)...I could probably have went to the pick and pull junk yard but that is 50/50 if they are there...And they'd be used....Plus gas money so $30 is not bad for brand new (hood will only stay open 30 seconds before slamming down)...

Last edited:

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check back in a few hours. If no response I'll reorder the monroes which imo will make a dramatic difference.

We've only driven 3,000 miles in 8 months so realistically speaking these will last until we sell the Jeep.

I'm thinking we put 5,000 miles a year but just to be on the safe side lets say 25,000 in 3 years...And I do not think we'll have this Jeep still in 3 years.

HOPEFULLY WE DO NOT as that means life treated me well and I upgraded :)

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

How about the name of the parts?

I think I need:

Front L/R strut assembly + shock absorber.

I would like to just do the front as that is what needs attention...

Member "Rocky" said I need rear springs? Anything else for the back of the Jeep? And total estimated cost for parts?

I thought I did pretty good with the Front Monroe Strut Assembly L/R + shock absorber L/R for $263 but I cancelled the order and will hold out for another day to see if I get some advice...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For 4 good springs and 4 good shocks you'll be in the 750 dollar range.
Cheap is expensive in the long run, they may last for a while but when you swap parts out you should always "upgrade" not just slap parts on due to price

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since, as Tom mentioned, you are about 100k overdue for suspension replacement, you should get new all the way around.

I went with Moog coils and KYB shocks. Not the best, but heads and shoulders better than the sacked OEM parts. And also better than Monroe sensi-craps.

My KJ had about 85k on it when I replaced the shocks/coils. I can't imagine how bad yours must ride with the original suspension at 173k:icon_eek:

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since, as Tom mentioned, you are about 100k overdue for suspension replacement, you should get new all the way around.

I went with Moog coils and KYB shocks. Not the best, but heads and shoulders better than the sacked OEM parts. And also better than Monroe sensi-craps.

My KJ had about 85k on it when I replaced the shocks/coils. I can't imagine how bad yours must ride with the original suspension at 173k:icon_eek:

I'm just guessing they are the original...Maybe they were replaced 100k miles ago but who knows....?

It really isn't bad at all! Drives great...Maybe a little bumpy, that is all!

But the main thing is it sways a little bit at 75mph and up.

If it really is that expensive then I am just going to order the Monroes for $265ish

I'm sure it will be 10x better than what is on it right now?????????

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listened to tom and end up paying a total of $738, I was going to go with kyb's but tom talked me into bilistine, ome, or rancho and I went with rancho shocks/struts all the way around and ome 927/948.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I listened to tom and end up paying a total of $738, I was going to go with kyb's but tom talked me into bilistine, ome, or rancho and I went with rancho shocks/struts all the way around and ome 927/948.

And? How did it drive afterwards?

That is just way too out of my budget...We put 5,000 miles on it every 15 months so I don't see why we should spend so much.

Not to mention we are fully satisfied with the way it currently drives.

Just looking to get a little more smooth of a ride. But not much.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think it rides fine now
then go the way you want to and go the cheap route
You asked a question and we were giving you the best answer we could in that it would give you a way better ride, better handeling etc to replace everything with quality parts.
Some day you get south of the border in Ohio we'll take you for a ride in a well set up suspension on a KJ
Until then get the Monroes and be happy with your great deal.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think it rides fine now
then go the way you want to and go the cheap route
You asked a question and we were giving you the best answer we could in that it would give you a way better ride, better handeling etc to replace everything with quality parts.
Some day you get south of the border in Ohio we'll take you for a ride in a well set up suspension on a KJ
Until then get the Monroes and be happy with your great deal.

I'm about 45 minutes from Toledo.

I already have about $5,500 into this 03 Jeep with 173k on it so I'm hesitant to go the right way / expensive route...It will probably be an amazing ride but how much am I willing to sink into it? Part of me wants to do it the other part says it is a waste of money that I won't get back out of it when the engine eventually fails or I resell it.

Your best bet is to buy yourself a set of Old Man Emu coil springs and. Ew shocks for all four corners.
I wouldn't bother with those Monroe products you listed as they are not very good.
Drive what you have until you can afford a real setup

This is good advice...I have $300 I can use on credit and then I'll set aside $50 a week until I've got the full amount.

I looked here and see they have the OME full setup for all 4 corners for $750.
Liberty Old Man Emu suspension lift kit

Where do you recommend I buy from? You have any links?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
jeepinbyal or AllJs both have springs and shocks available
plus both are great to deal with

If you need any help let me know.
We have M&Gs here almost every month and always doing something to a KJ
I'll be installing a new lift on mine soon as a test also
If you'd like to come down we always have people here from at least 2 or 3 states

Last edited: