HELP me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

POPPASMURF

Reaction score
Would appreciate some input from those that know. I'm looking for a light unit to pull behind motorhome. No need for big off road stuff. Narrowed down to plain 2007 KJ with 6 spd std trans 266 k km and a fairly loaded 2003 Renegade KJ 233 k km and 5 spd std. My concern would be which is stronger- or do I need to worry- the 5 speed or the 6 speed. I'm tending to the 2003 Renegade as it has more creature comforts for my old bones. Thanks for any input.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Are you pulling with a class 1 or ?
I wouldn't exactly call the KJ light. The Jeep's curb weight is 4044 lbs.
Renegade is nicely optioned. Recommend trying to find the cleanest ones, that are rust free, no check engine codes, consider an inspection.
Refer to Kj's owners manual regarding trailering requirements.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Creature comforts! Unless the '07 has the rare fountain-of-youth option for the old bones.

POPPASMURF

Reaction score
We bought an old Class A Bounder with V10, vintage 2000- to finish out our RV'ing career. We only go visit daughter and son-in-law on the ranch, friends in their back 40, and down to SE B.C. to nieces acreage. Not very long trips anymore. So we need/want 4x4 so we don't get stuck on wet grass and while the Liberty is no light weight it is compared to most other full size SUV. It is one of the few that still has mechanical shift for 4x4 and a choice of std or auto transmission. Gas mileage is craps but we don't put enough km on anymore to be a serious problem. So I'm thinking the Renegade as he fixed it all up for his daughter and then she doesn't want it as it is a std. shift in the city. New clutch, rebuilt the trans, new battery, brakes, winter & summer tires on rims, plus clean inside and only a couple of body scrapes. Thanks all.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a lot of work done & sounds like the perfect KJ for you ! Enjoy !
Found a few images of the 2000 Class A Bounder with V10, very nice! You will be all set then !:)

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Yup, older Bounders have a proven track record for middle of the road quality. Right in my budget! They’ll adopt a Liberty as a toad, no problem.

/thumbs up

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, you don't need a manual trans to tow a KJ, right? Just put the transfer case in Neutral and you can tow an auto.

As far as the correct model to choose IMO the pre 2005 KJ's seats are more comfortable than the redesigned KJ. If you choose an auto, I'd also look for the 02-03 model with the HD rfe45 trans, which was put behind the 4.7 V8 and hemi engines. I'd also look for one with the NP 242 select trac transfer case for ultimate adventurability.