Help ignition won't turn help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I backed my liberty out of the garage today to wash it. When I finished I hopped in and went to turn the key and it won't turn. The steering wheel is locked and my remote start doesn't work. I can use the accessory but I can't start the thing. Any ideas?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try jiggling the wheel while turning the ignition. Your ignition cylinder might be stuck. This happened to mine a couple of years ago and I had to get a shop to change it. It should give you some warning though before it goes. It isn't cheap...

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was about $280 for a new ignition cylinder and keying to my existing key set. I was having issues for a few weeks though- it didn't just up and quit one day.

rangertojeep

Reaction score
sorry to hear that your having troubles. I had the same exact thing happen to me about 3 months ago. I took the ingition switch out and went through every component and it was fine, ended up just being the actual electric ignition switch on the the left hand side of the steering column. I had problems for weeks by the way. It has 3 or 4 crappy screws that on mine had come undone causing the metal inside not to connect, so I took it out went on rockauto.com and purchased a new one for like 15 or 16 bucks with shipping installed and bam done!

something you may want to try to see if that is the problem without having to take it to a shop is by actually pressing down on the outside of the casing for the ignition unit, it will cause the metal to connect inside and transfer the current and start the car if that is the problem.

good luck

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something similar happened to mine a couple of years ago. Finally got it to free up and it never did it again. Make sure the shift lever is all the way in park. I was pushing mine all the way into park and playing with the key and the key freed up. Not sure if it was a coincidence or what.

Dave

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try turning the wheel one way or the other real hard and hold it that way then turn the key. I have had libertys and other vehicles keys not turning when the steering wheel is lock and bound.. Its rear but can happen and worth a try.

BowWow

Reaction score
Ours is wacked too. We now turn the key to where you have to push that hateful button on the column, but pull the key out at that point. I turned it off properly last week and spent 20 minutes trying to turn it back on. Next time I'm home I'm pulling the lock cylinder to do some filing and cleanup to see if that will fix it.