Help! I wanna improve my gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I just bought a 03 Jeep Liberty Limited.

I bought it from a dealer 100 miles from home ............ just got back, and my gas gauge is only 2/3 Full ......... ouch! But I knew about the low gas mileage when I bought it.

So, does anyone know of any good ways to increase gas mileage? Better air intake, etc?

Also, I'm looking for a Nav system ............ know where I can get a Mopar nav system for an '03 Liberty that I can install ............ i.e., USED?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
nav system or RB1 or RB4...ebay

as far as ur mileage, what exacty is it? 12 mpg? 15?

normal stuff we do.....
k and n air filter
go synthetic
change out exhaust....

but it's more like 2-3 mpg gain's at the most...

oh yeah....a bit higher air pressure..bout 38 psi as opposed to the 33...

it's all relative....tho....

best bet...keep her under 2k.....rpm's

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a little less lead in the foot. A lot of gas mileage changes start at the driver. I have first hand experience with it!! I drove my Lib like I stole it for the longest of time. Recently I did a study for over 1 month of driving it calmly.

When I start moving I never go over 2500RPM. The only time it does this is if I am passing, etc...

After one month of doing this my gas mileage increased over 1MPG. I know this was not a gigantic improvement but it was for me.

USED TO BE: 14.35mpg
WHAT IT IS: 15.68mpg

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Missing the obvious, it's a new vechile and your mileage is going to suck for up to a couple thousand miles as the vehicle gets broke in, we all went through it.
Just please.... please... stay away from all the garbage on Ebay, the chips, the vornado/tornado, the "fake" intakes, the magnets, the "special" fluids, all of them either don't work or work on your vehicle and will give you fault codes. There is no magic bullet...
The only real way to improve mileage is to drive senseably and for your vehicle to make additional HP, which in turn makes more mileage because your vehicle is not working as hard.
Welcome to the board.

DJBassman

Reaction score
I saee a lot of mail about gas mile-lack-ig (hehe). Truly, who bough a jeep for the gas mailage?

I bought it to do trails. What did you buy it for? sorry for jacking this. ok, who wants the soap box now?

RIPGTP1997

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Listen, We all bought Jeeps not because of gas milage, but for offroading, snow etc......If you want good gas milage get yourself a Civic. I myself at 19 years old am not complaining about the 14.5 in the city and 22 on the highway my Jeep is getting. My old car, a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP got the exact same amount, so I am not complaining at all. So don;t whine. If you can't afford it, don;t buy it.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had this idea while stuck in gridlock traffic to save some MPG, thought I would share it with the rest of you.

First, put your jeep in park.

Second, turn off the ignition and take out the key.

Third, start walking.

:-$ Lets keep this between us, I dotn want DC to learn the secret.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
not quite whining he is..im sure he's fully aware of the low mpg...just seeking advice on how to gain a few more mpg's (as we all would like)

DJBassman

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
So I had this idea while stuck in gridlock traffic to save some MPG, thought I would share it with the rest of you.

First, put your jeep in park.

Second, turn off the ignition and take out the key.

Third, start walking.

:-$ Lets keep this between us, I dotn want DC to learn the secret.

I was in Brazil this past March (biz) and that is what they do, except for the walking part. They pay $4 and up a gallon, if the stop is more than 60 seconds, the car is turned off. Maybe they know something.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if I did that on a southern california road or highway, I'd burn out my starter.
Personally I bought a Jeep for many reasons, mileage was not one of them. It's a necessary evil that I accept, because everytime I go into the garage and see my Liberty, I still smile.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
because everytime I go into the garage and see my Liberty, I still smile.

Agree. At one point I was saying to myself

"Man this gas is going to kill my wallet. I wonder if I should look for something else?"

Then I had some people in a stock Liberty looking at my Jeep and waving as we drove down the road. Thats when I said

"HELL NO!!! SHE'S A KEEPER!!"

AnthologyCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIPGTP1997 said:
Listen, We all bought Jeeps not because of gas milage, but for offroading, snow etc......If you want good gas milage get yourself a Civic. I myself at 19 years old am not complaining about the 14.5 in the city and 22 on the highway my Jeep is getting. My old car, a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP got the exact same amount, so I am not complaining at all. So don;t whine. If you can't afford it, don;t buy it.

You must have missed the part in my original post where I wrote, (and I quote): "But I knew about the low gas mileage when I bought it."