Help, Help diesel Oil light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
I have an 05 liberty diesel. My oil light has been coming on intermittently for the last three days or so, so I scheduled an appointment tomorrow to have it serviced at the jeep dealer. Unfortunately when my wife drove home it came on and stayed on. It does show plenty of oil on the dipstick. My question is this: I will need to drive it 22 miles to the dealer. First, do you think it would be ok to drive it to the dealership or should I have it towed? Second, any idea what might be wrong? I'm thinking the oil pump. If you think it is ok to drive, would highway speed be ok or should I stop and go etc. Thanks in advance for any advice you may care to give.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it still under warenty? If it is chrysler offers towing service. I personally wouldnt risk anything with a oil light on even if you have to pay to have it towed.

2003KJ

Reaction score
AndySRT said:
is it still under warenty? If it is chrysler offers towing service. I personally wouldnt risk anything with a oil light on even if you have to pay to have it towed.

X2. Because if there really is an oil pressure problem, the dealer can void your warranty claiming that you "ignored warning signs and continued to drive the vehicle, with the obvious oil light on"

If it is under warranty, they should cover the cost of towing. Even if you have to pay for it up front out of your pocket, they should reimburse you.

Is it making any unusual noises (such as knocking, tapping, etc....other than normal diesel noises)

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
When I started it up Friday morning, the oil light did not come on, so I drove it 22 miles to the dealership, again, the light did not come on at all. It turned out to be a faulty sensor, thanks Marlon, good call. With labor $139.63.

I also had them do the 60K maintenance service:$338.64 for labor and another $349.21 for parts and lubricants (included $11.30 per quart for 0W40 Mobil 1, plus about $30 labor to put it in). Shop fee $18.38. Total cost $928.35.

FYI I had a 45K service that cost me about $500 as far as I can recall. The CRD Liberty (diesel) is EXPENSIVE. It will be a long time before I buy another diesel...unless of course diesels become more prevalent, that is.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my call for help.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No, diesels aren't expensive. DEALERS ARE EXPENSIVE. The dealer I went to tried that $11/qt BULLCRAP. I left and I haven't gone back. I went to Wal-Mart (as much as I hate that place) Picked up 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 for $15/gal and did the oil change myself. Screw them.

I will NEVER do the dealer's scheduled maintenance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
No, diesels aren't expensive. DEALERS ARE EXPENSIVE. The dealer I went to tried that $11/qt BULLCRAP. I left and I haven't gone back. I went to Wal-Mart (as much as I hate that place) Picked up 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 for $15/gal and did the oil change myself. Screw them.

I will NEVER do the dealer's scheduled maintenance.

This is true, Dealers charge the most for any kind of work.

Diesels are known for being more expensive. They more filters than a regular gasser engine, bigger oil filters(maybe not the CRD, but the bigger trucks do), Diesel cost more, more oil, blah blah.. But I would still rather have a CRD than my gasser.
O:)