HELP! Front passenger axle seal + grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving in to work this morning I noticed a grinding sound coming from the differential area. Looking underneath there is a pretty good leak from the passenger side axle seal (showing part # 5066066aa). At this point I am just trying to limp it home so I refilled the differential but I am still getting grinding noises when I hit a bump or I turn (always just temporary and goes away when I go back to straight driving). Is it safe to drive home? Would be about 15 miles at highway speeds, or do I need to look at getting a tow? Thoughts on what could be causing the grinding? Thanks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving in to work this morning I noticed a grinding sound coming from the differential area. Looking underneath there is a pretty good leak from the passenger side axle seal (showing part # 5066066aa). At this point I am just trying to limp it home so I refilled the differential but I am still getting grinding noises when I hit a bump or I turn (always just temporary and goes away when I go back to straight driving). Is it safe to drive home? Would be about 15 miles at highway speeds, or do I need to look at getting a tow? Thoughts on what could be causing the grinding? Thanks.

Well, if the front diff is full with oil then you've taken care of ensuring lubrication in there. If it ran too dry and the gearing overheated that may be the cause of the grinding.

However, I'm going to wager that the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft is toast and that's what's causing the grinding noise. It could also be one of the front axle CV's since the noise changes depending on whether you're driving straight or turning, but that driveshaft CV joint can make some strange sounds when it's shot and at weird times too.

So check two things: 1) CV on the rear of the front driveshaft, and 2) all four of the CV's on the front axles (two on each side.) Make sure there aren't any tears in the boots that would allow grease to leak out and run the CV guts dry.

Let us know what you find :waytogo:

Bob

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!. If it is the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft is it safe to limp it home?

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft looks fine. No tears no grease not a whole lot of movement and spins freely. No tears in the cv boots on either axle and no signs of grease. The only issue is the fairly robust leak from the axle. I am hoping that maybe the seal is torn up pretty good and is allowing movement when hitting a bump/leads to misalignment/grinding? Anyways I am going to drive a 1/2 mile to the front gate and then have it towed to Midas as I don't have time to mess with it right now unfortunately.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back. Seal changed out seems to have fixed the issue, no grinding and tried selec trac and 4wd with no issues. I suspect seal was bad enough that it allowed axle shaft to rub when it hit a bump. Appreciate all the help.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I neglected to notice you have a CRD - which means the driver side CV axle is shorter that those on the gassers. So if the seal was shot - and probably the bearing too - then the added stress of the shorter CV would indeed make it flop around and make noise.

Sorry for not noticing the CRD detail first go-round ;)

Bob

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. It is good to go now and I appreciate the help.