Help! Clicking Noise With AC Turned On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help,

I just started hearing a "clicking" noise coming from the right-front of the Jeep. The sound reminds me of a twig caught in your bicycle spokes, where the faster the wheels turn, the faster the clicking.

I was parking when I first heard it (today) and at first I thought it was a wheel bearing but the noise stops when I turn the AC controls off.

Crap! I just got paged again so I have to go to work. Any ideas on what this could be would be appreciated, I'll check back here when I return.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited to add: Would this be an expensive noise?

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only with the AC on? Is the AC blowing nice and cold and steady temp? Could be a bad clutch on the compressor, or even a failing belt tensioner thats jumping with the added load of the ac compressor.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only with the AC on? Is the AC blowing nice and cold and steady temp? Could be a bad clutch on the compressor, or even a failing belt tensioner thats jumping with the added load of the ac compressor.

Yes, only with the AC\vent\heat on - just got back home!

I just had the AC clutch and serpentine belt replaced - maybe 2 months ago.

I'll probably just drop it off at my mechanic's place tomorrow morning and take the day off.

Thanks man...

Edited to add: Oh, forgot to add that the AC seems to work great but I can't figure out the relationship to wheel speed thing. If I'm at a stop the noise stops. When I move again the "clicking" speeds up in relation to my vehicle speed. I even put it on vent for a while and the sound was still there. Thankfully, it was only 90 degrees out with just 89 percent humidity when I went to work at the beginning of this post...ugggg.

Again, it sounds like it is coming from the right-front vent area.

Edited again to add: please don't say the "C" word. I opened the hood earlier when I first noticed the sound and I saw some frost on a hose under the hood but seeing as I never open the hood I didn't know if it was normal or not.

Thanks...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online