Help - both headlights stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap the high beam relay with an identical looking one...such as the low beam relay. You need a voltmeter to trace the voltage/lack of voltage from the bulbs themselves back to the body control module/junction box where the relays reside.

oil_rider

Reaction score
update - okay so I haven't tested the relay yet (since I'm not really sure how to test it....)
but I figured some more info out.

1the low beams work as daytime running lights (ie when the car turns on).
2the marker lighst (signal lights) come on when I turn the lights the first turn on the switch.
3 when I then turn it to headlights on, the low beams turn off.

now I believe there is a difference in intensity between low beams and running lights - but it is the same lights correct?

thoughts - is this more to the relay issue or does this give you any new thoughts?

thanks
B.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update - okay so I haven't tested the relay yet (since I'm not really sure how to test it....)
but I figured some more info out.

1the low beams work as daytime running lights (ie when the car turns on).
2the marker lighst (signal lights) come on when I turn the lights the first turn on the switch.
3 when I then turn it to headlights on, the low beams turn off.

now I believe there is a difference in intensity between low beams and running lights - but it is the same lights correct?

thoughts - is this more to the relay issue or does this give you any new thoughts?

thanks
B.

To answer your question, it still points to a relay. Look in your manual at the relays. find the relay for the lights. Pull it out. set it aside. find another relay that is used for something else like the horn relay. pull it out. put it in the socket for the lights. try turning your lights on. if they work the relay you set aside is bad. if they still act the same, your relay is fine so put it back together the way it was.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
...I live in a Rat free province (and I park indoors, so that's never been an issue, squirls can be a pain too).

"Province" Eh?
Check you Day time Running light relay!
(Grey "Finned" heat sink" looking thing in your fuse block)

I had one go bad which caused the same problem on our 2004.
Swapped it out and problem went away... Finally!

darwinless

Reaction score
My vote is for the multifunction switch, although problems with those usually manifest themselves with dome light issues.

There's a pretty good amount of info around here on the multifunction switch and a "how-to" on replacement (I think).
dome light issues? check, might just be the multifunction switch on mine then...