Help! About to purchase a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve1777

Reaction score
Hello Jeep People! Newbie here an would appreciate a little help. My lease is up on my Forrester and I found a clean 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 6 cyl
with an 92,000 miles, one owner car and clean car fax.
Asking price is $9500. Any tips on what I should be aware of and does that sound like a good price.?

Thanks for any feedback !!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks clean! I can’t totally tell from the photo, but you’ll want to keep looking if this one has the skyslider roof on it. The skyslider is unreliable and when it breaks you could be looking at a $3000 repair (no joke). In addition, the parts for it are not made anymore so they would have to be scrounged or fabricated.

Otherwise, bring it to an independent shop during your test drive and pay them $100 to look it over before you buy. They should catch anything really bad.

steve1777

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. No sunroof
I already have a mechanic lined up for an evaluation . It has new Kumo tires and brakes. If mechanic says okay, I'm going to show him $8500. Wish luck
Thanks again

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed that it passes the mechanic test! If there are things that need fixing, you could try to negotiate them off the price.

steve1777

Reaction score
Any maintenance records to be had ?
One thing I ask for whenever I buy a used one
Thanks for the reply.. All I have is the car fax showing 16 service records at the dealership it was purchased from.

JeepLibertyKK

Reaction score

Hello Jeep People! Newbie here an would appreciate a little help. My lease is up on my Forrester and I found a clean 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 6 cyl
with an 92,000 miles, one owner car and clean car fax.
Asking price is $9500. Any tips on what I should be aware of and does that sound like a good price.?

Thanks for any feedback !!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

I have had a 2012 version for about seven years and mechanically has been a great vehicle, with about 86k miles on it. Gas mileage is not great and under-powered for a 3.7L V-6. One thing I am disappointed about is the front seat covers. Totally shot, both sides, from getting in and out of the vehicle. I have never had seat covers wear like this and they looked bad at even 50k miles. Depends on your market but definitely feel the price you want to offer is more realistic than the sellers asking price. Good luck on your negotiating.

Last edited:

Austin288

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Liberty Sport which I have owned for six years. I love this car, however, there are two problems which you should be aware of. There is a design fault in the cruise control where the slightest corrosion of the plug connecting the steering wheel to the clockspring causes the cruise control cease working. The fix is very simple and only takes a few minutes, but most dealers are not aware of it. The plug needs to be unplugged and cleaned with tuner cleaner and plugged in again. The airbag has to be pulled away from the steering wheel to access the plug, but this is not difficult. I have to do mine every 3 to 6 months. The other problem is to check that the heater is directing hot air to the drivers side and not just the passenger side. This is an expensive repair which I work around by duct taping the air duct on the passenger side, as I rarely have any passengers in this car.

steve1777

Reaction score
Fingers crossed that it passes the mechanic test! If there are things that need fixing, you could try to negotiate them off the price.

I have a 2011 Liberty Sport which I have owned for six years. I love this car, however, there are two problems which you should be aware of. There is a design fault in the cruise control where the slightest corrosion of the plug connecting the steering wheel to the clockspring causes the cruise control cease working. The fix is very simple and only takes a few minutes, but most dealers are not aware of it. The plug needs to be unplugged and cleaned with tuner cleaner and plugged in again. The airbag has to be pulled away from the steering wheel to access the plug, but this is not difficult. I have to do mine every 3 to 6 months. The other problem is to check that the heater is directing hot air to the drivers side and not just the passenger side. This is an expensive repair which I work around by duct taping the air duct on the passenger side, as I rarely have any passengers in this car.
That's very good information
Thanks

NavyStore

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Limited with Skyslider I bought new from the dealer. 144k miles (and another 40k+ flat towed behind my RV over the years), and mechanically it's great. Early KK's had issues with improperly ground cylinder heads, and I've had the Skyslider fail twice in the first five years (ChryslerCares split the costs with me, but still cost $3k each time), but since I do all recommended maintenance on time (or early since I tow it) and never had it leave me hanging. I did add the K&N intake and filter package (not available in CA) and though I lost 1 MPG, I actually have some POWER!! Once that engine can breathe, it's golden! I still get the 'mystery ding', but that's been since I bought it (ding, but no error codes ever show on OBD2) and the MyGig radio will occasionally return to whatever album I was listening to on the HD before my current album. (So, if I listen to Boston on Monday, and Styx on Tuesday AM commute, when I go home Tuesday evening it restarts Boston.... and can happen anytime with any file...) The interior is very pristine, except where the Skyslider has leaked road-spray around the header a bit, and where my German Shepherd took a bite out of the leather back seat. **** warmers are still toasty (and used often as we live near Seattle) and everything else electrical has been good. Overall, except for mileage and road noise (from Skyslider) I've always been happy. (But I have a vent deflector just forward of my 'slider that cut wind noise by 50%. Hope this helps and happy motoring!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.